1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Use Green's Reciprocation Theorem to show the G.S to the Electrostatic Potential

1. Aug 8, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Use Green's Reciprocation Theorem to show the G.S to the Electrostatic Potential

2. Relevant equations

Green's Reciprocation Theorem

[itex]\int_{v} \rho^{'} \Phi d^{3}x + \int_{s} \sigma^{'} \Phi da = \int_{v} \rho \Phi^{'} d^{3}x + \int_{s} \sigma \Phi^{'} da [/itex]

The General Solution to the Electrostatic Potential

[itex] \Phi (x,y,z) = \frac{1}{4 ∏ \epsilon_{0}} \int^{+∞}_{-∞} d x^{'} \int^{+∞}_{-∞} d y^{'} \int^{+∞}_{-∞} [ \frac{\rho (x',y',z')}{\sqrt{(x-x')^{2} + (y-y')^{2} + (z-z')^{2}}} - \frac{\rho (x',y',z')}{\sqrt{(x-x')^{2} + (y-y')^{2} + (z+z')^{2}}}]d z^{'} + \frac{1}{4 ∏} \int^{+∞}_{-∞} d x^{'} \int^{+∞}_{-∞} d y^{'} [ \frac{2 z' V (x',y')}{[{(x-x')^{2} + (y-y')^{2} + z'^{2}]^{3/2}}}]d z^{'}[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

So, I should be able to derive the General Solution to the Electrostatic Potential from the Green's Reciprocation Theorem

I have the following to substitute.

[itex] \rho ^{'} (\vec{x'}) = 4 ∏ \delta (\vec{x} - \vec{x'}) [/itex]

[itex] \Phi ^{'} (x) = G_(D) (\vec{x} ; \vec{x'}) [/itex]

[itex] \sigma ^{'} (\vec{x'}) = \epsilon_{0} \frac{∂ G_{D}}{∂{n'}} [/itex]

but i don't know how to continue. All of these are just the ones with ' . What would I substitute to those without ' . What should I do? Please help.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2012
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?