1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Use Hamiltons canonical equations and integrate them to find expressions for q and p

1. Nov 13, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Suppose the potential in a problem of one degree of freedom is linearly dependent on time such that the Hamiltonian has the form:

H= p^2/2m - mAtq

where m is the mass of the object and A is contant

Using Hamilton's canonical equations that are give below. Find the equations of motion and obtain the solution by integrating directly.

2. Relevant equations

q(dot) = ∂H/∂p
    -p(dot) = ∂H/∂q

3. The attempt at a solution

Finding q(dot) = ∂H/∂p = p/m → integrating q=q(knot) + pt/m

Finding p(dot) = -∂H/∂q = -(-mAt) → integrating p= p(knot) +mAt^2/2

the initial conditions were p(knot)= p and q(knot) = q at t=0

Subbing the expression for p into the formula for q

q= q(knot) + [p(knot) + mAt^2/2]*t/m = q(knot) + p(knot)t/m + 1/2*(At^3)

The solution I obtained for my expression for q does not match the desired that was given by my professor of q(knot) + p(knot)t/m + 1/6*(At^3).

I am trying to determine if I made a mistake somewhere. It appears to me that my solution is correct. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2011 #2
    Re: Use Hamiltons canonical equations and integrate them to find expressions for q a

I failed to realize p is also a function of time and i need to integrate it with respect to t as well. i.e. ∫ p(knot) + 1/2 mAt^2 dt

4. Nov 13, 2011 #3

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Re: Use Hamiltons canonical equations and integrate them to find expressions for q a

Yes, usually one of the 2 Hamilton's equations will help you eliminate P in favor of Q and turn the system of ODE's into a single ODE.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook