1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Use implicit differentiation to find the points of tangency

1. Nov 18, 2004 #1
    Please Help!!

Ok, im having problem with an Implicit differentiation problem...
    Two tangent lines to the hyperbola [tex] 9x^2 - y^2 =36 [/tex] intersect at the y-axis.

Use implicit differentiation to find the points of tangency. Ok so i implicitly differentiated this function and i came up with y'= 9x/y...now...Im not sure on how to find the points of tangency. Do i have to set the two equations equal to eachother and solve for y and x seperately? Please help, and help will be appreciated!! thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 19, 2004 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You really don't need to worry about "two" tangent lines. Choose any point on the ellipse, find the tangent line and see where it intersects the y_axis.

Let (x0, y0) be the point of tangency. Then the slope of the tangent line is, as you found, 9x0/y0 and the equation of the tangent line is [itex]y= \frac{9x_0}{y_0}(x- x_0)+ y_0[/itex]. At the y-axis, x= 0 so
    [itex]y= \frac{9x_0}{y_0}(-x_0)+ y_0= \frac{-9x_0^2+y_0^2}{y_0}[/itex].

4. Nov 19, 2004 #3
    Thank you for your response! I was just confused on what to pick the points as. Thanks again

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?