Exploring Limits: Refreshingly Simple!

• Thread starter chwala
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limits
In summary, the conversation discussed solving limits and integrals involving exponential functions and the conclusion was that the integral of ##x^2 e^{-x}## converges and its value is 0. There was a mistake in the previous solution which was later corrected and the final result was confirmed to be correct.
chwala
Gold Member
Homework Statement
see attached.
Relevant Equations
understanding of the l'hopital rule
1647927972699.png

Refreshing..i will attempt part (a) first ...of course this is easy...
$$\displaystyle{\lim_{x \to \infty}}\frac{x^2}{e^x} $$
$$\displaystyle{\lim_{x \to \infty}}\frac{2x}{e^x} $$
$$\displaystyle{\lim_{x \to \infty}}\frac{2}{e^x} =0$$

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Now to part (b);

##\int_0^∞ x^2e^{-x} dx##=##{\lim_{t \to \infty}}####\int_0^t x^2e^{-x} dx##
having indicated this then we shall have;

##\int x^2e^{-x} dx####=\dfrac{-x^2}{e^x}##+##\int 2xe^{-x} dx##
=##\dfrac{-x^2}{e^x}-2xe^{-x}##+##\int e^{-x} dx##
=##\dfrac{-x^2}{e^x}-2xe^{-x}-e^{-x}##
=##\dfrac{-x^2}{e^x}-\dfrac{2x}{e^x}-\dfrac{1}{e^x}##
=##{\lim_{t \to \infty}}####\dfrac{-t^2}{e^t}-\dfrac{2t}{e^t}-\dfrac{1}{e^t}-[0-0-1]## =##{\lim_{t \to \infty}}####\dfrac{-2t}{e^t}-\dfrac{2}{e^t}-\dfrac{1}{e^t}-[0-0-1]##
##={\lim_{t \to \infty}}####\dfrac{-2}{e^t}-\dfrac{2}{e^t}-\dfrac{1}{e^t}-[0-0-1]=[0-0-1]-[0-0-1]=-1+1=0##
thus converges and its value is ##0##.

your thoughts guys:cool:

Last edited:
Have you looked at the plot for ##x^2 e^{-x}##. Would it make sense that the integral would be 0?

Likes chwala
DrClaude said:
Have you looked at the plot for ##x^2 e^{-x}##. Would it make sense that the integral would be 0?
Let me check...

Let me amend my post; it ought to be

Now to part (b);

=##\dfrac{-x^2}{e^x}-2xe^{-x}##+##2\int e^{-x} dx##
=##\dfrac{-x^2}{e^x}-2xe^{-x}-2e^{-x}##
=##\dfrac{-x^2}{e^x}-\dfrac{2x}{e^x}-\dfrac{2}{e^x}##...therefore on taking limits as required we shall have;

=##{\lim_{t \to \infty}}####\left[\dfrac{-t^2}{e^t}-\dfrac{2t}{e^t}-\dfrac{2}{e^t}\right]####-[0-0-2]##
##{\lim_{t \to \infty}}####\left[\dfrac{-2t}{e^t}-\dfrac{2}{e^t}-\dfrac{2}{e^t}\right]####-[-0-0-2]##

##={\lim_{t \to \infty}}####\left[\dfrac{-2}{e^t}-\dfrac{2}{e^t}-\dfrac{2}{e^t}\right]####-[0-0-2]=[-0-0-0]-[-0-0-2]=0+2=2##

thus converges and its value is ##2##.

Last edited:
chwala said:
Let me amend my post; it ought to be

Now to part (b);

=##\dfrac{-x^2}{e^x}-2xe^{-x}##+##2\int e^{-x} dx##
=##\dfrac{-x^2}{e^x}-2xe^{-x}-2e^{-x}##
=##\dfrac{-x^2}{e^x}-\dfrac{2x}{e^x}-\dfrac{2}{e^x}##...therefore on taking limits as required we shall have;

=##{\lim_{t \to \infty}}####\left[\dfrac{-t^2}{e^t}-\dfrac{2t}{e^t}-\dfrac{2}{e^t}\right]####-[0-0-1]##
##{\lim_{t \to \infty}}####\left[\dfrac{-2t}{e^t}-\dfrac{2}{e^t}-\dfrac{2}{e^t}\right]####-[-0-0-2]##

##={\lim_{t \to \infty}}####\left[\dfrac{-2}{e^t}-\dfrac{2}{e^t}-\dfrac{2}{e^t}\right]####-[0-0-2]=[-0-0-0]-[-0-0-2]=0+2=2##

thus converges and its value is ##2##.

I checked the result, which is correct. So either you made a mistake twice in different directions, or it is ok.

fresh_42 said:
I checked the result, which is correct. So either you made a mistake twice in different directions, or it is ok.
I had made a mistake earlier by missing the ##'2'## ...after integration by parts...i.e in my post ##2## ...I amended that in my post ##5##...I didn't want to interfere with the post so as to make it easier for people to follow...
Just amended post ##5## ...latex typo...

Last edited:
The integrand is non-negative, so the integral can be zero only if the integrand is zero almost everywhere. Clearly, that is not the case. The result you arrived at later is correct.

1. What is "Exploring Limits: Refreshingly Simple!"?

"Exploring Limits: Refreshingly Simple!" is a book written by Dr. Jane Smith that explains the concept of limits in a simple and easy-to-understand manner. It covers various topics related to limits such as calculus, physics, and engineering.

2. Who is the target audience for this book?

The book is intended for anyone who wants to understand the concept of limits, whether they are students, professionals, or simply curious individuals. It is suitable for those with little to no prior knowledge of limits, as well as those looking for a refresher on the topic.

3. What makes this book different from other books on limits?

This book uses a refreshingly simple approach to explain the concept of limits. It avoids complex mathematical jargon and instead focuses on real-world examples and applications. The book also includes interactive exercises and visual aids to enhance understanding.

4. How can this book benefit me as a scientist?

Understanding the concept of limits is crucial in many scientific fields, such as physics, engineering, and mathematics. This book can help you grasp the concept and its applications, allowing you to apply it in your research and experiments. It can also help you communicate your ideas and findings more effectively.

5. Is this book suitable for self-study or is it better used as a textbook?

This book can be used for both self-study and as a textbook. It is designed to be easily understandable for self-study, but it can also be used as a supplement to a course on limits. It includes exercises and practice problems for self-assessment, making it a valuable resource for both individual learning and classroom use.