1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Use L'Hopital's Rule to evaluate the limit

1. Oct 6, 2005 #1
    Hi. Use L'Hopital's Rule to evaluate the limit.

lim x-infinity of (lnx) ^(2/x)

The answer is 1.
    I kept taking the derivative but it seemed like I was going around in circles. Any help would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2005 #2

Homework Helper

L'Hopital's Rule does not apply to the function as written. What were your first steps?
  4. Oct 6, 2005 #3
    I found the derivative of the function and it was really ugly. I don't know if it is correct.

[ [-2(lnx)^(2/x -1)][lnx*ln(lnx) -1] ]/x^2
  5. Oct 6, 2005 #4

Homework Helper

As Diane said, you can't apply L'Hopital's rule to this function, at least not in this form.
    It is possible however to alter the function so it becomes something where you can use L'Hopital. You need to convert it to an undeterminate form of 0/0 or inf/inf.
  6. Oct 6, 2005 #5
    How can I convert it?
  7. Oct 6, 2005 #6

Homework Helper

Well, what you have here is a case of f(x)^g(x) which yields the indeterminate form [itex]\infty ^0[/itex].

You can convert it to another indeterminate form by doing [itex]\exp \left( {\ln \left( {f\left( x \right)^{g\left( x \right)} } \right)} \right) = \exp \left( {g\left( x \right)\ln \left( {f\left( x \right)} \right)} \right)[/itex].

Then you have something of the form f(x)g(x) which gives a new indeterminate form [itex]\infty \cdot 0[/itex].

Finally, you can convert this to f(x)/(1/g(x)) (or the other way arround) to get either 0/0 or inf/inf so that you can use L'Hopital.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?