Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Use number

1. Jun 10, 2009 #1
    Is number have a syntax to use ? This sound strange

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 11, 2009 #2
    yes. this whole post sounds strange.

4. Jun 11, 2009 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

"syntax" refers to the rules on how words are put together to form a coherent sentence. In regard to numbers, there are several different ways that could be interpreted. First there is the whole point of how to form numbers using numerals in base 10. That is a "syntax" question. Second, there are rules governing how mathematical expressions are put together. For example (3+ ((x- )) will give "syntax" errors in a computer program! Finally, there are rules on how numbers are written or spoken. The number 342.32 should be written out "three hundred forty two and thirtytwo hundredths", NOT "three hundred and thirtytwo and point three two. That is a matter of "syntax".

5. Jun 11, 2009 #4

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

YES, numbers have syntax. Each symbol has meaning according to where and how it is found in the expression of the number.

6. Jun 11, 2009 #5
    Sad, I am sad. it ten hours late after i can revisit this site! thank you for your try on a book have been read :smile: Please thank you

7. Jun 11, 2009 #6
    No offense, but you should work on your English syntax first.

8. Jun 11, 2009 #7
    thank you never mind,
    Yes, I think that "syntax" is what I am say in my thread title.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook