Comparing EMF and Voltage in Circuit Systems

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about measuring current and power in a circuit involving power, voltage, current, and resistance. The question is whether to use EMF or voltage when measuring current and power. The conversation also touches on the difference between EMF and voltage, with some disagreement over the relevance of the term "electromotive force" in modern times. Ultimately, it is determined that Vt (terminal voltage) should be used for calculating power and that Vemf can be used for calculating total power dissipation in the circuit.
Acuben
First of all this isn't really Homework problem, but since it is based on homework problem, I'll post on this section of the forum. Feel free to move if I was supposed to post on different part of the forum.
Either way, I'll use homework as an example since that is what brought this up..

Regardless of how long this post looks, it's really a simple question =p

Homework Statement

This question involves circuit system using...
Power, Voltage, Current, and Resistance (internal and load resistance), and EMF
This is probably really basic question for most of you

Question is when measuring Current and Power of any part of the circuit, do I use EMF? or Voltage? (So it's two questions. 1. when measuring current, 2. when measuring power)
say...
P=V^2 / R or P=E^2 / R ?
and I= V / R or I = E / R ?
and when using other Power formula such as P=I*V, P=I^2 * R
do I use the current that is derived from using EMF ? or Voltage?
assuming I use I = E/ Rt

Homework Equations

P=I*V=V^2/R=I^2*R
I=V/R
V=E-Ir (or V=E+Ir)

where...
P-power
I-current
V-voltage
R-Resistance
Rl-Load Resistance
Ri- Internal resistance
Rt-total resistance
E-EMF (Electro Motive Force ithink...)

The Attempt at a Solution

This is a conceptual question

Don't read this part, unless you feel it's neccessary...It's not really quotation, I just wanted to box it somehow ...
it seems like there is a controversy in the textbook or I simply have wrong idea about this Voltage vs EMF deal...
Let's not worry about significant figures and units in detail...

Book Physics for scientists and Engineers with Modern Physics by Serway Jewett Volume 2, 6th ed (older edition afaik)
page 861
one of the example they gave was...
E= 12.0V
Ri=0.05
Rl=3.00
I= E / (Ri + Rl) = 120 / 3.05 = 3.93
(not I=V / (iR+Rl) ...)

page885 (homework section, number1)
battery with E= 15.0V
V(terminal)= 11.6V delivering 20.0W of power to Rl
a) what is value of Rl?
Rl=V^2 / P
so I have two choices...
1. If V= Voltage
Rl= 11.6^2 / 20
2. If V= EMF
Rl= E^2 / P
Rl= 15^2 / 20

so I was thinking. Of course it should be of course the answer should be E^2/P therefore 15^2/20 > 11.25 Amps
but the answer shows as 6.73 Ohms... = 11.6^2 / 20

so in example it used EMF
and in Homework it used terminal voltage.

So one of them should be wrong?
or is there something that I am not understanding?

Oh by the way, my professor did mention that he'll purposely assign homework with wrong answers just because :P

Is there something that I don't know and should know? (maybe about V vs V(terminal)?)

Physics news on Phys.org
In 2010, I think the term "electromotive force" is at risk for becoming an archaic term. Sort of like "kilocycles" or "kc" for kiloHertz. I have led a happy life without being able to distinguish an EMF from a Volt.

Think of EMF as the "concept" equivalent to voltage measured in Volts.

Last edited:
lewando said:
In 2010, I think the term "electromotive force" is at risk for becoming an archaic term. Sort of like "kilocycles" or "kc" for kiloHertz. I have led a happy life without being able to distinguish an EMF from a Volt.

Think of EMF as the "concept" equivalent to voltage measured in Volts.

I believe i am aware of what EMF is. correct me if I am wrong.
EMF is a type of V that's conceptually pure volt from (say a battery) unaffected by any resistance
whereas V(terminal) is type of V that is actually used. (more calculated)

it's not understanding EMF/ V(terminal) that I'm having trouble with. I'm having trouble with actually applying them in an equation.

EMF is voltage. You would do well to forget you ever heard of EMF. If you see the term "EMF" in a book, white-it-out and replace with ink the word "voltage". I'm not kidding.

Just use these formulas and you will be fine for all things ohmic:

V=IR
P=V²/R
P=I²R

page885 (homework section, number1)
battery with E= 15.0V
V(terminal)= 11.6V delivering 20.0W of power to Rl
a) what is value of Rl?
Rl=V^2 / P
so I have two choices...
1. If V= Voltage
Rl= 11.6^2 / 20
2. If V= EMF
Rl= E^2 / P
Rl= 15^2 / 20

so I was thinking. Of course it should be of course the answer should be E^2/P therefore 15^2/20 > 11.25 Amps
but the answer shows as 6.73 Ohms... = 11.6^2 / 20

I should spend more time actually reading original posts. Sorry. In this case you have a battery modeled as an ideal voltage source of 15V in series with an internal resistance.
In this case, they are simply telling you that the teminal voltage, Vt, is what is appearing across the load resistor and so P= Vt^2/R applies.

@lewando
thank you for reply
so I use V(terminal) for calculating power and EMF for calculating total current?

For power dissipated by the load resistor, from the point of view of the load resistor-- Vt is applied across it so that's what you use. For current going through the resistor, why not use I=V/R with V = Vt and R = Rload?

Vemf can be used if you want to calculate the total power dissipation of the circuit (power dissipated by Rload and Rint), because Vemf is the voltage across the series combination of the two resistors)

lewando said:
For power dissipated by the load resistor, from the point of view of the load resistor-- Vt is applied across it so that's what you use. For current going through the resistor, why not use I=V/R with V = Vt and R = Rload?

Vemf can be used if you want to calculate the total power dissipation of the circuit (power dissipated by Rload and Rint), because Vemf is the voltage across the series combination of the two resistors)

Ah I see it now. Thank you very much

What is the difference between EMF and voltage in circuit systems?

EMF stands for electromotive force, which is the energy per unit charge that is generated by a source, such as a battery, to drive a current through a circuit. Voltage, on the other hand, is the measure of the potential difference between two points in a circuit. In simple terms, EMF is the energy source that creates the potential difference, or voltage, in a circuit.

How are EMF and voltage related in circuit systems?

EMF and voltage are closely related in circuit systems. EMF is the cause of voltage, as it is the energy source that creates the potential difference in a circuit. The magnitude of the EMF is equal to the magnitude of the voltage in an ideal circuit without any resistance.

How does EMF affect the flow of current in a circuit?

EMF is responsible for creating the potential difference, or voltage, that drives the flow of current in a circuit. The higher the EMF, the greater the potential difference and therefore, the greater the flow of current. However, other factors such as resistance can also affect the flow of current in a circuit.

What units are used to measure EMF and voltage?

EMF is measured in volts, just like voltage. However, EMF is typically represented by the symbol "ε" while voltage is represented by "V". Both EMF and voltage can be measured using a voltmeter, which is a device that measures the potential difference between two points in a circuit.

How do EMF and voltage affect the behavior of components in a circuit?

EMF and voltage play a crucial role in the behavior of components in a circuit. The amount of voltage and the direction of the voltage can determine the direction of current flow and affect the performance of components such as resistors, capacitors, and inductors. The presence or absence of EMF can also determine whether a component is functioning as a source or a sink of energy in the circuit.