Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Use of Eötvös rule

1. Sep 2, 2012 #1
    I am attempting to use Eötvös rule b492df588ae8d37ba6020019ac203ca7.png to find the surface tension of water but am not obtaining normal results.

Surface Tension= 2.7*10^(-7)(374-x)*18^(-2/3)
    at T=0 Celsius Surface tension = .0114 mN/m with this equation far from the normal 75.7 mN/m
    what am I doing wrong?

Last edited: Sep 2, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 2, 2012 #2
    Scientists normally measure temperature in degrees Kelvin not degrees Celsius

Last edited: Sep 2, 2012
  4. Sep 2, 2012 #3

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

. . . . . because the Zero, used in all other scales is quite arbitrary. It can be based on the fixed freezing point of water, alcohol or anything else. 0K, otoh, is Absolute.
    Everybody, I'm sure, has made the mistake at least once in their lives of using °C when they should have used K and arrived at a crazy answer. :wink: You are in good company.

5. Sep 2, 2012 #4

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Since it's Tc-T, it will work in either Celsius or Kelvin. However, you have to make sure that either both are Celsius or both are Kelvin. You can't mix and match.

6. Sep 2, 2012 #5

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I think the error is in deriving V from molar mass and density. You should get 18.10-6 m3/mol. The 10-6 seems to have been lost.

7. Sep 3, 2012 #6
    I'm doing the calculations in Celsius since the critical temperature is in Celsius. Thank you haruspex. Measuring the V in m3/mol made the result 114 mN/m which is closer to the actual surface tension but still off.

8. Sep 3, 2012 #7

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yes, I also get 114 (after correcting the typo in the OP; you had 2.7 instead of 2.1). In the wikipedia entry it mentions subtracting another 6 degrees, but that doesn't help much. Curiously, that leaves the value almost exactly 3/2 times too high.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook