How is the Gamma function used in solving for the expectation value of momentum?

In summary, the expectation value of momentum, <p^2>, can be expressed as -\frac{m*\omega*\hbar}{\sqrt Pi}\left[\Gamma(\frac{3}{2}) -\sqrt Pi\right] by using the symmetry of the function under the integral sign and making a substitution to convert from the exponential function to the gamma function.
jg370

Homework Statement

jg370 said:
Hi,

My question relates to the solution to a question regarding the expectation value of momentum, that is [tex]<p^2>[/tex].

As the solution unfold, we have the following two expressions:

[tex]-\frac{m*\omega*\hbar}{\sqrt Pi}\left[\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \xi^2 *e^-\xi^2 d\xi-\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^-\xi^2 d\xi\right][/tex]

[tex]-\frac{m*\omega*\hbar}{\sqrt Pi}\left[\Gamma(\frac{3}{2}) -\sqrt Pi\right][/tex]

Homework Equations

My problem with the above, is that I do not understand how one gets from

[tex] \left[\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \xi^2 *e^-\xi^2 d\xi\right][/tex]

to

[tex]\left[\Gamma(\frac{3}{2}) \right][/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I have reviewed the [tex]\Gamma function[/tex] and tried to make a conversion from the exponential function to the gamma function; this did not lead me to understand the relation ship involved in this case.

I hope that some one can help me with this.

I thank you for your kind assistance

jg370

Physics news on Phys.org
The function under the integral sign is symmetric wrt the origin 0, so the integral is twice the value it has at 0. So

[tex] I = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} x^2 e^{-x^2} {} dx = 2 \int_{0}^{\infty} x^2 e^{-x^2} {} dx [/tex]

But

[tex] \Gamma\left(\frac{3}{2}\right) = \int_{0}^{\infty} t^{1/2} e^{-t} {} dt [/tex]

Now make te substitution [itex] x^2 = t [/itex]. You'll immediately get your result.

From the definition of the gamma function:
[tex]\Gamma(z) = \int_0^\infty t^{z-1}e^{-t}dt[/tex]
Now make the substitution t=u^2, dt = 2u du, then
[tex]\Gamma(z) = \int_0^\infty u^{2(z-1)} e^{-u^2} 2 u du = 2\int_0^\infty u^{2z-1} e^{-u^2} du[/tex]
Now, plugging in z=3/2, and recognizing that the resulting integral is even gives:
[tex]\Gamma(\frac{3}{2}) = 2\int_0^\infty u^2 e^{-u^2} du = \int_{-\infty}^\infty u^2 e^{-u^2} du[/tex]

This is what you wanted to show.

1. What is the Gamma function and how is it used in science?

The Gamma function is a mathematical function that is used to extend the factorial function to include non-integer values. It is commonly used in statistics, physics, and engineering to solve problems involving continuous variables.

2. How is the Gamma function calculated?

The Gamma function is calculated using the integral of the function e^(-x) x^(s-1) dx, where s is the input value. There are also various approximations and numerical methods that can be used to calculate the Gamma function.

3. What are some practical applications of the Gamma function?

The Gamma function has many practical applications in science and engineering. It is used to calculate probabilities in statistics, solve differential equations in physics, and model complex systems in engineering. It is also used in various fields of mathematics, such as number theory and combinatorics.

4. Can the Gamma function be used for negative values?

Yes, the Gamma function can be extended to negative values through the use of complex analysis. However, the function is undefined for negative integers, as it results in a division by zero.

5. Are there any limitations or drawbacks to using the Gamma function?

One limitation of the Gamma function is that it can only be used for positive real numbers. It also becomes increasingly difficult to calculate for larger values, as the function grows rapidly. Additionally, there are certain special values, such as 0 and negative integers, where the Gamma function is undefined.