Use of I vs we in abstract

• Thread starter johng23
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Abstract
In summary, the poster uses "I" in the abstract to represent their work as a whole, even though they are part of a research group. This is a reasonable choice, as the purpose of the poster session is to present the work of the author, not of the research group.
johng23
Use of "I" vs "we" in abstract

I'm writing an abstract for a poster which I am required to give for a fellowship. In general it is my understanding that no one would use "I" in an abstract, even if he or she were the sole author. But in this case, the purpose of the poster session is to present the work that I am doing personally as a fellow. Does that change anything? Saying "I" sounds strange, but I also feel that it should be about what I personally did, not about what my research group is doing (which I am part of).

Physics news on Phys.org

Posters should not have abstracts on them!

That was unclear. It's not on the poster, it's to be published in a pamphlet for the conference.

johng23 said:
I'm writing an abstract for a poster which I am required to give for a fellowship. In general it is my understanding that no one would use "I" in an abstract, even if he or she were the sole author. But in this case, the purpose of the poster session is to present the work that I am doing personally as a fellow. Does that change anything? Saying "I" sounds strange, but I also feel that it should be about what I personally did, not about what my research group is doing (which I am part of).

Just use the passive tense and avoid any reference to "me," "we," or "I."

ETA: For example, instead of saying, "My data agree with..." say something like "Data were consistent with..." Instead of saying, "To record the data, I..." try, "Data were recorded..."

Geezer said:
Just use the passive tense and avoid any reference to "me," "we," or "I."

ETA: For example, instead of saying, "My data agree with..." say something like "Data were consistent with..." Instead of saying, "To record the data, I..." try, "Data were recorded..."
Well, that's grammatically incorrect.

It would be "my data agrees with", "Data was consistent with" Data was recorded".

But that's just grammatical errors.

I'd wait until a mentor or SA responds so that you know that you are getting correct advice.

Last edited:
johng23 said:

That's a very reasonable question- there's a lot of guidance out there:

http://abacus.bates.edu/~ganderso/biology/resources/writing/HTWgeneral.html
http://www.unc.edu/depts/wcweb/handouts/sciences.html
http://www.scientific-writing.com/
http://www.americanscientist.org/issues/feature/the-science-of-scientific-writing/1

But the choice of I/We (that is, singular or plural) seems to be left up to the author. If you alone did the work, by all means use 'I'- in the abstract (and yes, posters generally have an abstract on them) or in a paper.

In all honesty, the lack of formalized instruction in writing is a real detriment to a science education for many people (myself included).

Well, I already submitted it and I just took out the "I/We" like the geezer said. Ah well, it's not really a big deal. Consequence of leaving these questions until a couple hours before the deadline. I'll know better for next time.

Evo said:

It would be "my data agrees with", "Data was consistent with" Data was recorded".

I'd wait until a mentor or SA responds so that you know that you are getting correct advice.

Data is a plural noun, not singular. It correctly takes a plural verb (e.g, "are" and "were" instead of "is" or "was").

The singular of data is datum.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/data"

Last edited by a moderator:

Andy Resnick said:
In all honesty, the lack of formalized instruction in writing is a real detriment to a science education for many people (myself included).

Yeah, but you can always read scientific papers, conference proceedings, etc., to see exactly what an abstract entails.

Evo said:

Data is plural, so it is "Data were consistent with," etc.

I've always felt that data "fit" better in the singular however. I think it can be technically considered correct either way if the "many data" is considered to be the singular object that contains all of the data.

I'm not an English major, and have always felt somewhat annoyed with all the seemingly arbitrary rules (especially commas...which have never been well-defined in my mind), but I remember a discussion on this in a required "writing" class in college.*EDIT*
Looks like Geezer already posted this...making mental note to read entire thread before jumping onto the high horse to reply to a specific post in the future.

Troponin said:
*EDIT*
Looks like Geezer already posted this...making mental note to read entire thread before jumping onto the high horse to reply to a specific post in the future.

No objections here. I like that you independently verified the information I posted.

I'm not an English major, and have always felt somewhat annoyed with all the seemingly arbitrary rules (especially commas...which have never been well-defined in my mind), but I remember a discussion on this in a required "writing" class in college.

Uggghhh, commas. The standard American English way of dealing with commas, especially when used with quotation marks, is ludicrous. The British English method is superior.

1. What is the purpose of using "I" or "we" in an abstract?

The use of "I" or "we" in an abstract signifies the author's role in the research. "I" is used when there is a single author and "we" is used when there are multiple authors.

2. Can both "I" and "we" be used in the same abstract?

Yes, it is possible to use both "I" and "we" in the same abstract. This may be done when the author is referring to themselves individually and also as part of a research team.

3. Is there a preferred format for using "I" or "we" in an abstract?

It is generally accepted to use "I" or "we" in a consistent manner throughout the abstract. However, some disciplines may have specific guidelines for their preferred format.

4. How does using "I" or "we" impact the objectivity of an abstract?

The use of "I" or "we" may suggest a level of subjectivity in the research, as it implies a personal involvement in the study. However, this does not necessarily mean that the research is biased.

5. Can "I" or "we" be used in place of the passive voice in an abstract?

Yes, using "I" or "we" can be an effective way to avoid using the passive voice in an abstract. This can make the writing more engaging and easier to understand for the reader.