Learn How to Use Steam Tables for Aerospace Engineering Exam

• Thread starter JaredJames
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Steam
In summary, steam tables provide a list of properties for water at different pressures and temperatures. They are useful for understanding the properties of water as it changes phase and for making thermodynamic calculations. However, they can be challenging to use and may require knowledge of specific problems.
JaredJames
hi, i am a first year aerospace engineering student and have just completed the Thermodynamics section of my course.
My problem is, that i understand all topics except steam tables.

I have absolutely no idea how to use them, and no idea what the calculations associated with them are. (e.g. quality, enthalpy, volume occupied by vapour release).

I would really appreciate somehelp on this as my exam is in two days.

Many Thanks
Jared James

Engineering news on Phys.org
Steam tables are nothing more than a list of various properties of water at any given pressure and temperature. Since water changes phase, it's useful sometimes to have the properties over the entire range of liquid to vapor. Enthalpy, internal energy, entropy, etc... are all just properties of the fluid. They also make it much easier to apply first law calculations such as dU = Hin - Hout +Qin etc... since you can apply the first law directly if you have the value for the properties of internal energy, enthalpy ...

jarednjames said:
hi, i am a first year aerospace engineering student and have just completed the Thermodynamics section of my course.
My problem is, that i understand all topics except steam tables.

I have absolutely no idea how to use them, and no idea what the calculations associated with them are. (e.g. quality, enthalpy, volume occupied by vapour release).

I would really appreciate somehelp on this as my exam is in two days.

Many Thanks
Jared James

For most substances, the relationships among thermodynamic properties are too complex to be expressed by simple equations. Therefore, properties are frequently presented in the forms of tables. Some thermodynamic properties can be measured easily, but others cannot and are calculated by using the relations between them and measurable properties. The results of these measurement and calculations are presented in tables (steam in your case).

By knowing two independent intensive properties of a substance, you can describe the state of the substance.

Using the tables depends on the problem you are trying to solve. If you have a specific problem, then describe it and we'll be able to walk you through it so you can see how the tables are used.

Hope that helps.

CS

1. What is a steam table in aerospace engineering?

A steam table is a tool used in aerospace engineering to determine the thermodynamic properties of water and steam at different pressures and temperatures. It provides a quick and accurate way to calculate important values such as enthalpy, entropy, and specific volume.

2. Why is it important to know how to use steam tables for aerospace engineering exams?

Steam tables are a fundamental tool for solving problems related to heat transfer and thermodynamics in aerospace engineering. They provide essential data that is used in various calculations and design processes, making them crucial for success in aerospace engineering exams.

3. How do you use a steam table for aerospace engineering problems?

To use a steam table, you need to know the pressure and temperature of the water or steam in question. Then, locate the corresponding values on the table and use them to calculate the desired properties using the given equations. It's important to use the correct units and to understand the properties being calculated.

4. Are there any limitations to using steam tables in aerospace engineering?

While steam tables are a useful tool, they do have some limitations. They are based on ideal conditions and may not accurately represent real-world scenarios. Additionally, they only provide data for water and steam, so they cannot be used for other substances.

5. Can I use an online steam table for my aerospace engineering exam?

It depends on the guidelines set by your exam. Some exams may allow the use of online steam tables, while others may require you to use a physical table. It's important to check with your instructor or exam guidelines to determine the appropriate method for using steam tables in your exam.