Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Use of vice versa

1. Apr 24, 2005 #1
    use of "vice versa"

My friend and I were discussing if this was an appropriate way to use the term "vice versa." He says that it can be used, making the sentence mean "if time decreases, turn left, and if time increases, turn right." I'm not sure if vice versa works in this case.

"If time decreases, turn left (& vice-versa)"

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 24, 2005 #2

cronxeh

Gold Member

if your friend is correct and you are wrong then it doesnt matter, and vice versa.

4. Apr 24, 2005 #3
    I take this to mean "if your friend is correct and you are wrong or your friend is wrong and you are correct then it doesnt matter."

5. Apr 24, 2005 #4

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Nope, can't be used in that situation. It would make the sentence mean: "If time decreases, turn left, and if time lefts turn decrease." Clearly it creates a nonsensical sentence. Vice versa is not used to imply the opposite of a statement, but to reverse the order of a statement.

6. Apr 24, 2005 #5

thanks for clearing that up! i knew something sounded wrong with that sentence!

7. Apr 24, 2005 #6
    Yup, it's 'this to that' to 'that to this.'

8. Apr 25, 2005 #7

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Although technically Moonbear is absolutely correct (vice verso is supposed to switch the positions of the nouns in this case), it is acceptable to change the noun along with its verb, making " if [you] turn left, time decreases."

This is called a "converse" statement (If A then B :: If B then A), and linguistically the "A" and "B" do not have to be single words but may be the subject-verb phrase. This is they way most people use it without confusion, so it becomes the rule.

Either way, your friend is implying an "inverse" statment (If A then B :: if not A then not B). But that's iff (if and only if) "not A" = "opposite of A." etc etc etc etc. Wonk wonk wonk. No matter how you dice it its not "vice versa," and since using it in this matter obviously does create confusion, it won't become part of the rule.

Liguistics is fun. But it kills a party even quicker than phisics does.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2005
  9. Apr 25, 2005 #8

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There's just something about the sound of the 'vice' part that causes confusion. I knew an instructor who taught the vis-a-vis equation in one of his classes. The wet erasable marker equation?! :confused: Turns out he meant Leibniz's vis viva equation ... or vice versa (maybe Leibniz wrote it with a wet erasable marker, but was confused about how to say it .... easily understandable since it hadn't been invented yet).

Last edited: Apr 25, 2005
  10. Apr 25, 2005 #9

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl:

I had a Latin teacher in high school who was a stickler for pronunciation, so in order to have normal conversations with people, I had to unlearn the proper pronunciation and learn the English pronunciation. The proper pronunciation is more like wee'-kay wear'-sa.

11. Apr 26, 2005 #10

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

So you also know that Juius Cesar actually said: "weenee wedi weekee"

12. Apr 26, 2005 #11

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Thanks for that image. That's what we're missing in politics today....

Which of the following could you envision standing up in public wearing a toga and saying "weenee wedi weekee"?

George W.
    Hillary
    Rudi
    Condi
    John Kerry (with botox, of course)
    Cheney?
    Arnold?

We'd probably elect either Justin Timberlake or Janet Jackson.

Or else we'd elect Bill Clinton, again. Somehow, I could imagine him saying it and not looking any dumber than he usually does. :rofl:

13. Apr 26, 2005 #12

Danger

Gold Member

None of the above, but I can see Dubya being introduced as a weenee. :grumpy:

14. Apr 26, 2005 #13

hypnagogue

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sorry to spoil the fun :tongue2:, but that's "veni, vidi, vici," pronounced "wen-ee, wee-dee, wee-kee"

15. Apr 26, 2005 #14

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yep, hypnagogue to the rescue! :smile:

16. Apr 26, 2005 #15

Danger

Gold Member

We've discussed this before, Moonbabe... you have to give me more to work with.

17. Apr 27, 2005 #16

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Fudge. There goes another chunk of my brain.

18. Apr 27, 2005 #17

DaveC426913

Gold Member

My wife learned the phrase: Temper ubi sub ubi

19. Apr 27, 2005 #18

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's "semper ubi sub ubi." Although, it's only funny to say the translation, because the meaning is entirely different than how it sounds. But it did get our class to remember that "ubi" = "where"

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?