1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Use the chain rule to show that... Help please

1. Sep 16, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    z = ƒ(x,y), x = rcos(θ), y = rsin(θ)
    Use the chain rule to show that:
    [tex] \frac{1}{r^{2}}\frac{\partial ^{2} z}{\partial \theta ^{2}} = sin^{2}(\theta)\frac{\partial ^{2} z}{\partial x^{2}}-2sin(\theta)cos(\theta)\frac{\partial ^{2} z}{\partial x \partial y}+cos^{2}(\theta)\frac{\partial ^{2} z}{\partial y ^{2}} - \frac{1}{r}\frac{\partial z}{\partial r} [/tex]
    2. Relevant equations
    ∂z/∂r = (∂z/∂x)(∂x/∂r) + (∂z/∂y)(∂y/∂r)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have worked it through and I have found that:
    [tex] \frac{\partial z}{\partial \theta } = -rsin(\theta)\frac{\partial z}{\partial x}+rcos(\theta)\frac{\partial z}{\partial y}[/tex]
    [tex] \frac{\partial z}{\partial r } = cos(\theta)\frac{\partial z}{\partial x}+sin(\theta)\frac{\partial z}{\partial y}[/tex]
    [tex] \frac{\partial ^{2} z}{\partial \theta ^{2}} = r^{2}(sin^{2}(\theta)\frac{\partial ^{2} z}{\partial x^{2}}-2sin(\theta)cos(\theta)\frac{\partial ^{2} z}{\partial x \partial y}+cos^{2}(\theta)\frac{\partial ^{2} z}{\partial y ^{2}}) [/tex]
    I have checked these a number of times and they seem right to me. The last one listed is the second partial derivative of z in terms of θ, but it doesn't match that of the problem statement. I'm not really sure what I'm doing wrong. Thanks :)

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2015 #2

RUber

Homework Helper

Your second derivative looks like you just squared your first derivative.
    You need to actually take one more derivative to get ## \frac{\partial^2 z}{\partial \theta^2}##.

4. Sep 16, 2015 #3
    I didn't square it, I took the second derivative.

5. Sep 16, 2015 #4

RUber

Homework Helper

You have the first part right. But your second derivative is wrong.
    ##\frac{\partial}{\partial \theta } f(x,y) = \frac{\partial f}{\partial x} \frac{\partial x}{\partial \theta} + \frac{\partial f}{\partial y} \frac{\partial y}{\partial \theta}##
    ##\frac{\partial}{\partial \theta }\left( \frac{\partial}{\partial \theta } f(x,y)\right) = \frac{\partial}{\partial \theta }\left( \frac{\partial f}{\partial x} \frac{\partial x}{\partial \theta} + \frac{\partial f}{\partial y} \frac{\partial y}{\partial \theta}\right) ##
    Which is
    ## = \left( \frac{\partial}{\partial \theta }\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}\right) \frac{\partial x}{\partial \theta}+\underline{ \frac{\partial f}{\partial x} \left( \frac{\partial}{\partial \theta }\frac{\partial x}{\partial \theta} \right) } + \left( \frac{\partial}{\partial \theta } \frac{\partial f}{\partial y}\right) \frac{\partial y}{\partial \theta}+ \underline{ \frac{\partial f}{\partial y} \left( \frac{\partial}{\partial \theta }\frac{\partial y}{\partial \theta}\right)} ##
    In your expansion, you missed the second derivatives with respect to theta on x and y. Which will give you the equivalent parts you need for the partial with respect to r.

6. Sep 16, 2015 #5
    Ahh. That makes sense. Thanks a lot.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted