Has Anyone Ever Used the Forum's Ignore Option?

• Thread starter Gale
  • Start date
In summary: If someone posts something that you find disagreeable, you can hit the "ignore" button and it will stop you from seeing that user's posts. However, this does not mean that the user is gone from the forum; they can still post, it's just that you won't be able to see their posts.

Have you ever put someone on your ignore list?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 19 100.0%

• Total voters
Gale
Just curious, but does anyone actually use the ignore option? here in the forums i mean, has anyone ever chosen to ignore someone entirely? i can't really think of a circumstance i'd do it in, so I'm curious if anyone has.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ignore someone in the physics forum? No way.
Seems to me we're all friendly folk here. Plus, scientists don't go out of their way to annoy you... you have to go to them for that.

Hey Gale, noticed your a fellow New Hampshirite. Way to be

is this a New Hampshire only thread?

I saw Men In Black so I know it's not a good idea to push any buttons if you don't know exactly what they do. So, if you select "ignore" what exactly would happen?

Gale and Rock: I myself, grew up in the shadow of Mt. Monadnock, if you know where that is.

i avoid the ignore button because sometimes i think it might erase all of human history kinda like the history eraser button in that ren and stimpy episode. and, in a way, ignorance is a history eraser.

I can't say I've ever actually found someone here that I want to ignore.

Gale's just mad because I gave her a hard time about her views on men:wink:

The "Ignore" button makes it so that you can't see the text of a user's posts, but you do see that the user posted. You just see the name and a blank field. Some may choose to Ignore other users if they deem that user's posts are on the level of white noise (eg, Futurist).

As for me, I can't use the option because I have to know when people are misbehaving. :wink:

I don't use the ignore button because I fear people might cease to exist when I stop looking at their posts. :wink:

Seriously though, I find ignoring posts to be pretty pointless, if not a little childish. Everyone has something worthwhile to say (at least now and then:wink:).

Fz+

If I've ever said anything worthwhile, please be assured it was an accident, and I'll do my best to avoid it in the future.

-zoob

Last edited:
Gale's just mad because I gave her a hard time about her views on men

yeah... that's it zantra...

anyways, i agree with yall, i can't imagine how ignoring a person would be good. although, i didn't know that i could see that the person posted, just not what they wrote. i learned something new, thanks tom.

so, what would it take to make you ignore someone??

Originally posted by Gale17
so, what would it take to make you ignore someone??

that someone would have to be more annoying than me
can you ignore mentors? (or is this heresy?)

Seriously though, I don't think there's anyone on these boards worthy of an ignore-although.. I keep hearing about this lifegazer guy, but I never had the pleasure.

Oh gosh, now I'm paranoid. I'm wondering how many people have me on ther ignore list?

I once saw a post where someone said they were going to add a person to their ignore list. This person's posts weren't gibberish, abusive to the other person (in fact, the one who was going to be ignored was far less abusive then the other poster was to them) they just had a differing opinion.

My first thought on reading this was that as a person interested in science, how can you ignore anything? If you disagree with an opinion, ignoring it doesn't verify that it is incorrect, or make it go away.

I think that the ignore list is contrary to what this forum is about: furthering understanding.

I agree, Artman.

Tom said that the ignore button would be applied to somene whose posts consistently constitute "white noise". In other words, someone whose remarks seem never to have any substance one way or another. I haven't found such a poster to exist in Nature and it surprises me that anyone ever had this problem enough to invent this function to deal ith it.

power?

Perhaps it's about power and control?

PF, like all internet forums, has its strengths and limitations. Maybe the knowledge that the power to ignore, even if it's never used by anyone, gives comfort (unconsciously?) to some who read and post here.

Guys, the "Ignore" feature is not a feature of PF, but of our Forum software, vBulletin. It is a generic feature that you will find not only here, but at any Forum that uses it.

Ignore ignore ig ignoreig, ignorei. I ignor ignore ignore ig ignoreignorei, ignore, ignorei i igno. Ign ignore ign; ignore ignorei ig, ignor, ignore!

I once saw a post where someone said they were going to add a person to their ignore list.
I'm guessing we are talking about the ironically named Logicalatheist...

1. What is the purpose of the "ignore" option on forums?

The "ignore" option on forums allows users to filter out content from specific users that they do not wish to see. This can be helpful in creating a more personalized and enjoyable browsing experience.

2. How does the "ignore" option work?

The "ignore" option typically works by blocking all content, including posts and comments, from the user that has been added to the ignore list. This means that any content posted by the ignored user will not be visible to the person who has added them to their ignore list.

3. Can I still see content from users I have ignored?

No, the purpose of the ignore option is to filter out all content from specific users. Once a user has been added to the ignore list, their content will no longer be visible to the person who has added them.

4. Is the "ignore" option permanent?

No, the ignore option can usually be adjusted or removed at any time. This means that if a user no longer wishes to ignore a specific user, they can easily remove them from their ignore list.

5. Will the ignored user be notified that they have been ignored?

It depends on the specific forum and its features. Some forums may notify the ignored user that they have been added to someone's ignore list, while others may not. It is important to check the forum's guidelines and policies to understand how the ignore option works on that particular platform.