Use the two tables below to derive the inflation rates ?

In summary, the two tables provide data on the Consumer Price Index (CPI) and the Gross Domestic Product (GDP) for a given period. To derive the inflation rate, you need to calculate the percentage change in the CPI and GDP from the previous period. CPI and GDP are widely used indicators to measure inflation rates because they provide a comprehensive view of the economy. However, there are limitations to using them as inflation rate measures. The CPI and GDP tables are updated monthly or quarterly, and it is important to use the most recent data for accurate analysis.
John Locke
I've uploaded a picture of my homework my tutor gave me, and I filled out what I think is to be correct. Basically I figured out what the missing core services inflation rate would be by figuring out what averaged to the total for each column. I'm 100% sure that my approach is incorrect, especially because I don't introduce the first graph's percentages into my calculations. What should I do??

Attachments

• 20140921_192919.jpg
    20140921_192919.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 433
Physics news on Phys.org

What data is included in the two tables?

The two tables provide data on the Consumer Price Index (CPI) and the Gross Domestic Product (GDP) for a given period. The CPI tracks changes in the prices of goods and services commonly purchased by consumers, while the GDP measures the total value of goods and services produced within a country.

How do you derive the inflation rates from these tables?

To derive the inflation rate, you need to calculate the percentage change in the CPI and GDP from the previous period. The inflation rate is then calculated by dividing the change in CPI by the previous CPI and multiplying by 100. This will give you the percentage change in prices from the previous period, which is a measure of inflation.

What is the significance of using the CPI and GDP to measure inflation rates?

CPI and GDP are widely used indicators to measure inflation rates because they provide a comprehensive view of the economy. CPI measures the prices of goods and services purchased by consumers, while GDP measures the overall value of economic activity. Together, they provide a more accurate picture of the economy and its changes over time.

Are there any limitations to using these tables to derive inflation rates?

While CPI and GDP are useful indicators, there are limitations to using them to measure inflation rates. For example, CPI may not accurately reflect the prices of all goods and services, and GDP may not capture all economic activity. Additionally, changes in the CPI and GDP may not always be directly correlated with changes in the overall cost of living or the standard of living.

How often are these tables updated?

The frequency of updates for the CPI and GDP tables varies depending on the source. However, these indicators are typically updated monthly or quarterly. It is important to use the most recent data available to accurately derive inflation rates and track changes in the economy.