Proving Cosine Identity: Is cos(t+2π) the Same as cos(t)?

In summary, the conversation discusses the equation \cos(t)=\cos(t+2\pi) and the use of the sum formula \cos(\alpha+\beta)=\cos\alpha\cos\beta-\sin\alpha\sin\beta to solve it. However, when substituting t and 2\pi for the variables, the result yields -\cos t instead of the expected \cos t. Upon further examination, it is revealed that cos (2pi) is equal to -1, causing the discrepancy. The conversation ends with Casey acknowledging their mistake and thanking the person for their help.
Saladsamurai
[tex]\cos (t)=\cos(t+2\pi)[/tex]

I know it is kind of silly, but I need to do it.

I could have sworn that a sum formula would have worked, ie.,
[tex]\cos(\alpha+\beta)=\cos \alpha \cos \beta -\sin \alpha \sin \beta[/tex]

but when I sub in [tex]t[/tex] and[tex] 2\pi[/tex] for the RHS, I am getting [tex]-\cos t[/tex]

Where did I go wrong...

Casey

Edit: IDK why LaTex alpha isn't showing on RHS

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Saladsamurai said:
[tex]\cos (t)=\cos(t+2\pi)[/tex]

I know it is kind of silly, but I need to do it.

I could have sworn that a sum formula would have worked, ie.,
[tex]\cos(\alpha+\beta)=\cos\alpha\cos\beta-\sin\alpha\sin\beta[/tex]

but when I sub in [tex]t[/tex] and[tex] 2\pi[/tex] for the RHS, I am getting [tex]-\cos t[/tex]

Where did I go wrong...

Casey

What is cos (2 pi)? (You're going to kick yerself...)

P.S. One of the alphas wasn't displaying because you wrote "alpa"; the cos t didn't display because you left out a space between "cos" and "t"; TeX is unforgiving that way...

dynamicsolo said:
What is cos (2 pi)? (You're going to kick yerself...)

P.S. One of the alphas wasn't displaying because you wrote "alpa"; the cos t didn't display because you left out a space between "cos" and "t"; TeX is unforgiving that way...

Ouch! I did not know it was possible to kick myself there:cry: ...
+1

Thanks,
Casey

1. How do I use trig identities to prove a statement?

To use trig identities to prove a statement, you need to manipulate the given equation using known trigonometric identities until it is equivalent to the statement you are trying to prove. This involves using properties such as the Pythagorean identities, double angle identities, and sum and difference identities.

2. What are some common trig identities that I should know?

Some common trig identities that are often used in proofs include the Pythagorean identities (sin²θ + cos²θ = 1, tan²θ + 1 = sec²θ, cot²θ + 1 = csc²θ), double angle identities (sin(2θ) = 2sinθcosθ, cos(2θ) = cos²θ - sin²θ), and sum and difference identities (sin(θ ± φ) = sinθcosφ ± cosθsinφ, cos(θ ± φ) = cosθcosφ ∓ sinθsinφ).

3. Why is it important to use trig identities in proofs?

Using trig identities in proofs allows us to simplify complex equations and express them in terms of simpler trigonometric functions. This not only makes it easier to understand and manipulate the equations, but it also helps to establish connections between different trigonometric functions and their properties.

4. Can I use any trig identity to prove a statement?

No, you must use the appropriate trig identities that are relevant to the statement you are trying to prove. For example, if the statement involves only sine and cosine, you would not use a tangent identity to prove it. It is important to carefully choose which identities to use in order to arrive at the desired result.

5. Are there any tips for using trig identities in proofs?

One tip for using trig identities in proofs is to work backwards from the statement you are trying to prove. Start with the statement and use known identities to manipulate it until you arrive at the given equation. It is also helpful to have a list of common identities and their variations on hand for reference.