Dog Tricks: Amaze Everyone with Your Pet's Talents

• Thread starter Math Is Hard
  • Start date
In summary: I'm opposed to the idea, I'm just not sure if it's the right time for us yet. In summary, the dog tricks featured in the video are clever and the dog is cute. The dog's expressions after each trick are humorous. The dog is a watchdog for the neighborhood and can do things like warn of unfamiliar vehicles.
Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I've never been much of a "dog person", but I might have to reconsider after seeing this:

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
That's awesome. :biggrin:

I like that song, too. Very catchy.
"I am not boring, I just stick to what I know!" :)

Math Is Hard said:
I like that song, too. Very catchy.
"I am not boring, I just stick to what I know!" :)
It was a great choice.

Evo said:
It was a great choice.
Dr Foofer taught himself to use the toilet, but he never flushed. He could also turn on the faucet so he could drink fresh water, but he never turned it off.

Math Is Hard said:
I've never been much of a "dog person", but I might have to reconsider after seeing this:

Tsu and I are big dog lovers, but it doesn't work like that! :biggrin: When we first got our dogs, they immediately destroyed the porch!

One day I heard the cat howling. I walked outside and found the dogs having a tug-of-war and using poor Einstein [cat] as the rope.

Nope, I don't buy it. This must be some sort of doggy propaganda video. :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
Evo said:
Dr Foofer taught himself to use the toilet, but he never flushed. He could also turn on the faucet so he could drink fresh water, but he never turned it off.

He also ran a successful possum smuggling operation for several years.

Ivan Seeking said:
One day I heard the cat howling. I walked outside and found the dogs having a tug-of-war and using poor Einstein [cat] as the rope.

Poor Einstein! :frown:

Wow! What a clever little pooch! Someone has obviously put a whole bunch of time and energy into that little dog. They obviously have a great rapport.

See the dog's expression, though, after performing each trick? They're sooo needy for approval, dogs are. They crack me up. :smile:

Cats? Nah. They do not care whether or not you approve of them. That's not to say they aren't interested in you or your time or attention. I live with a cat who actually knows who I am and responds to her own name. She even does stuff on command and people are always amazed by it. The trick, though, is that she's not doing what I want her to do; she's doing what she wants to do and she maintains her habits well enough, that I can predict what she'll do and issue commands for that. It's similar to the cat remote control. :biggrin:

Back to the dog, though. I'm sending that link to every person I know who lives with a dog so they can feel inadequate. :smile:

My dog knows sit, down, stay, here... That's about it. Well, he knows how to bark and warn me about unfamiliar things. When he sees an unfamiliar vehicle at a neighbor's house, he kicks up a fuss until I calm him down.

He is a watchdog for the whole neighborhood, not just our place. If something is out of place (to his mind), he let's me know. Our several-times-daily strolls around the rural roads here give him a chance to do his stuff. There is a nice place near here that is owned by a guy from RI who is rarely around. He came up for hunting season and when Duke saw the guy's truck in the driveway, his back fur got up, and he started barking. Pretty good security system. The guy was pretty impressed. He'd probably pay for a daily security-detail.

Last edited:
Wow, I like the idea of a dog who can make the bed and turn on the coffee maker. If I ever get a dog, those need to be the first items on the tricks to teach him/her. :biggrin: I'm not so sure about that dog's dishwasher loading skills though. :tongue2:

I've had a dog who will help take socks off...I'm WAY too ticklish for it though, because to grab the socks, her teeth would always scrape my feet just enough to tickle.

Actually, a lot of those things are taught to service dogs. If you get the right dog and put the time into training, they can do quite a lot of helpful things. I just don't think Ember will agree to let me have a dog, and I don't think my lifestyle would be very fair to a dog since I can't always get home at regular times to take care of walks. People in cities hire dog walkers, but I'm not sure if there are many of those around here.

Moonbear! I so owe you an e-mail. I keep promising to write and forgetting again. I will!

And, um, yeah. I don't think Bean would let me get a dog either. Given where I live, I'd have to get one of those miniature-sized non-dogs anyway, and Bean would eat it. Of that I'm certain.

Super :smile:

Evo said:
That's awesome.

Yes, it was, and it's an awesome testimony to the fact that we're not nearly as distantly separated from our furry friends as we would sometimes like to belive.

:)

1. What are some common dog tricks that I can teach my pet?

There are many different dog tricks that you can teach your pet, including sit, stay, come, shake, roll over, and play dead. You can also teach more advanced tricks like jumping through hoops or weaving through your legs.

2. How long does it take to teach a dog a new trick?

The amount of time it takes to teach a dog a new trick can vary depending on the dog's personality and their previous training experience. Some dogs may pick up a new trick in a few minutes, while others may take several weeks of consistent training to learn.

3. Can any dog learn tricks, or are some breeds better suited for it?

Any dog can learn tricks, but some breeds may be more naturally inclined to learning and performing them. Breeds that are known for their intelligence and eagerness to please, such as Border Collies and Poodles, may excel at learning and performing tricks.

4. How do I start teaching my dog tricks?

The key to teaching your dog tricks is to start with basic obedience training, such as sit and stay, and then build upon those skills. Use positive reinforcement and rewards to encourage your dog to perform the desired behavior, and be patient and consistent with your training.

5. Are there any safety concerns when teaching a dog tricks?

Yes, it is important to ensure the safety of both you and your dog when teaching tricks. Avoid using any techniques that could harm your dog, and always supervise them during training. Also, be mindful of your dog's physical abilities and avoid teaching them tricks that could potentially cause injury.