1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Useful pi systems generating the borel sigma algebra

1. May 19, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

For the purpose of my module, we define the lebesgue measure over Int(a,b) where
    Int(a,b) = (a,b] where -∞≤a≤b<∞
    (a,∞) else
    And l((Int(a,b) = b-a a≤b<∞
    ∞ a≤b =∞

And thus we say the borel sigma algebra is generated by C={Int(a,b) -∞≤a≤b≤∞}
    We then get told that a variety of pi systems generate the borel sigma algebra, other than C={Int(a,b) -∞≤a≤b≤∞} ;
    1. C' = {(a,b] -∞<a≤b<∞}
    2. C_0 = {(a,b) -∞≤a≤b<∞ }
    3. C_open = { A [itex]\subseteq[/itex] Reals : A open}
    4 C_closed = { B [itex]\subseteq[/itex] Reals: B closed }
    5. C_half = {(-∞,b] b [itex]\in[/itex] Reals }

We need to prove that 1-5 generate the borel sigma algebra and that lebesgue is sigma finite on 1-4 but not 5 (to do this I need to find an increasing sequence of events in each C such that the union is the sample space (the reals) and that l(Ai) < ∞ for all i .

3. The attempt at a solution

Basically I have proved 1-4 generate the borel sigma algebra, but 5 is proving difficult, I know that C_half [itex]\subseteq[/itex] C [itex]\subseteq[/itex] σ(C) so this proves that
    σ(C_half) [itex]\subseteq[/itex]σ(C), but now I need to show it the other way round, to show that they're equal. I can't seem to figure this out.

Secondly, again I have shown sigma finite for 1 and 2, but i can't do 3 (and therefore 4), with all the others I did how I had been taught, i.e for 2 I said let Ai = (-i,i) then Ai is increasing, the union is the reals and then I wrote (-i,i) = U{n=1..} (-i,i-1/n] and used continuity to take lebesgue measure ... etc.
    How would you do this with open and closed sets?
    Finally for showing l isnt sigma finite on 5, is it enough to say that whatever increasing sequence you take in C_half, using continuity of the lebesgue, when you do the lebesgue measure will always get ∞ + b where b is in the reals which is clearly never going to be finite?

Thanks a lot for any help, I'm really stuck on these and theyre really important in my module!

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?