1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Useful Software

1. Sep 23, 2005 #1
    I have $600 left of my research stipend after buying a laptop, anyone have any suggestions as to what I should use it on?

I need to use it on something educational so I figured I'd just buy MATLAB or something similar and some books but I am looking for suggestions as this is just an offhand decision.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2005 #2
    Send it to me, so that I can buy textbooks (that's educational). I'll PM you information for wiring it to me.

Or to make it better I can sell you the latest version of MATLAB (v7 R14).

Last edited: Sep 23, 2005
  4. Sep 23, 2005 #3
    Is it possible to hold onto that $600 so if you run into a problem and need certain software or whatnot, you could just buy it?

5. Sep 23, 2005 #4
    Really, are you the copyright owner? Buying software doesn't mean you get the right to sell it. Anyway, i know(hope) you're kidding. If you're in college I would not recommend buying matlab, because if you need it there will always be computers available with it already, and depending on what classes you take you may get it for free. Use it to buy books, not textbooks necessarily, but books that will expand your knowledge and be fun at the same time. As to which books that's more of a personal preference, I don't think i'd be able to help you there, search amazon.com see what you like. With 600 you could make a very nice collection.

6. Sep 23, 2005 #5

ranger

Gold Member

Here is a list of possible software programs you could buy>>

Multisim
    Ultiboard
    Ultiroute
    Mathematica
    CalcCenter

Also check out here for a list of more field specific software.

7. Oct 2, 2005 #6
    I would admit to "what", dont spend these money on some kind of software. There are enough at the university, better to spend them on books what you'll really need. But if you want to buy some software go to http://www.maplesoft.com/products/maple/index.aspx they offer student license for Maple, so you can save a lot of money.

8. Oct 2, 2005 #7
    depends on the line of research your in....if your doing something related to programming
    then i suggest getting the full version of matlab if thats the programme you use because matlab, thogh not realtime 3D graphcis intensive, has awesome toolkits, especially for engineering and modelling...i didn't even know you could do implicit differentiation till a prof showed me how. but its costs like i think 300-400.

and then get numeircal recipes in C++.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?