Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Useless youth

1. Nov 3, 2004 #1
    Despite all the hype, all the celebrities and that ‘Vote of Die!’ campaign, youth voter turnout was about the same as it was in 2000. Those youth…they say they’re interested, they’ll go to all the events and in the end they stay home. The youth of America (non-voters) are useless. I have no faith in them.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 3, 2004 #2
    I'd agree with you for the most part. However, I don't agree with the "Vote or Die" slogan because I believe it promotes irresponsible voting based on small insignificant issues. I have little faith in the American voters in general. Bush was obviously a poor choice.
  4. Nov 3, 2004 #3
    Maybe if they allowed the youth to text message their votes? I'm sure a stupid MTV Viewers Choice awards show get's more youth votes than a general election. Well, maybe not, but you know...
  5. Nov 3, 2004 #4
    Kerry should of had Britney Spears as VP.
  6. Nov 3, 2004 #5
    Unfortanately Britney thinks everyone should just trust the President and let him do his job, lol. ;)
  7. Nov 3, 2004 #6
    Politics is just not cool, dude. Young people (most of them) are obsessed by what is cool.
  8. Nov 3, 2004 #7

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The youth won't understand the importance of this election for another 20 or 30 years, when they find themselves bemoaning the decisions of the Supreme Court while they are fighting to repeal a constitutional amendment preventing gay marriage, which by then they'll see as a ridiculously outdated, prejudiced view.
  9. Nov 3, 2004 #8
    Generally this country's youth aren't concerned with national politics. And the "Vote or Die!" campaign is about as stupid as it gets. They don't care for the most part. Their parents didn't care at their age either. Its no until their vested interest in the political outcome of elections becomesreadily apparent that they will care.
  10. Nov 3, 2004 #9
    I am happy that the youth did not vote. The majority of them do not even understand the concept of voting; nor the ideology of each candidate. Why vote when you do not know who you are voting for and why?

Passive youths. Stupid them. I give you that. However, whose fault is that?
  11. Nov 3, 2004 #10
    Genetics and Hormones
  12. Nov 3, 2004 #11
    I voted, but I know for one reason why most of my peers did not vote was because they hate Bush AND Kerry. The youth always hate politics because politicians always lie and never care about future Americans.
  13. Nov 3, 2004 #12

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

THe 18 to 23 demographic did turn out is record number in 2004, but so did all the other demographics, so the proportion of young voters to other voters didn't change from 2000.

And who's to say that if the silent ones had voted they would have gone for Kerry? It's a myth that young people aren't as basically conservative as other aged US citizens are.
  14. Nov 3, 2004 #13

Staff: Mentor

Right - the perception in the opening post has been fueled by misleading reporting of this subject: CNN
    Leave the last sentence out or hear it fast in a news report, and it gives the check's erroneous perception. Ageism in the media? Hmm....
  15. Nov 3, 2004 #14
    Oh I know that overall voter turnout was up. I have another thread going about that. The point I'm making is that the margin of young voters is not any higher than it was in 2000. Voter turnout is up, but the proportions remained the same. I think the point of the 'vote or die' campaign and trying to get the youth out to vote was to increase their margin. I guess I should have made that clearer in the opening post.

But thinking about it more, if there was a higher percentage of eligible young voters this election then in previous ones, the campaign was successful. I guess they weren’t counting on all demographics showing increase turnout in the same proportions as the young vote.
  16. Nov 4, 2004 #15
    ok to clarify this: Of people 18-29, a higher percentage ofthem voted yesterday than in 2000. Period. They increased by the same proportion as everyone else. Period.

Got it?
  17. Nov 4, 2004 #16

Its funny how every bashes on the youth implying that it is our fault that Bush is still in office. Our votes aren't all for kerry, and I wouldn't be surpised to see about the same amount of votes for either candidate compared with the rest of the country.
  18. Nov 4, 2004 #17

This is a great point, I think I've mentioned elsewhere in this forum that it's a myth that the 18-vote is/was overwhelmingly democrat. It's actually fairly evenly split and I think if there are any good, reliable post election studies out there, they may very likely show an even split in voting as well.
    I was very proud to have 2 sons voting in their first presidential elections. Unfortunately, or fortunately...depending on you view, I've raised them to think for themselves and I have a feeling that at least one of their votes canceled out mine! :yuck: :smile: :wink: I didn't think my oldest (who lives in another state now) was actually going to vote, he seemed very apethetic about it..but he called me that night to let me know that he had voted. Of course, he then proceded to tease me by not telling me who for! Argh! Kids!! :rolleyes:
  19. Nov 4, 2004 #18

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I can sympathize. I have three kids voting, now. With two of them voting for Bush, that kind of cancels out my Kerry vote. At least the one kid voting for Kerry lives in Ohio where her vote had a more chance of making a difference than our votes in Colorado (she's my favorite now - at least until next election when I'll bemoan her liberal tendencies, although not so much so, now that she has a kid).
  20. Nov 4, 2004 #19
    I think the opposite in my enviroment. At UW-Milwaukee, there was a huge interest in the election with lots of youth support. Just about everyone I knew and everyone in my classes were buzzing about the election and had stickers.
  21. Nov 4, 2004 #20

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I too had fallen for this myth until I saw this yesterday, in the CNN exit polls.

TOTAL || 2004 (- 2000) || 2004

18-29 (17%) || 45% (0) || 54%

30-44 (29%) || 53% (+4) || 46%

45-59 (30%) || 51% (+2) || 48%

60 and Older (24%) || 54% (+7) || 46%

There's just a small majority for Kerry among the young 'uns...hardly the overwhelming (2:1 kind) ratio, I had expected to see.

But another thing to note here is how the older republicans made the extra effort to show up this time, compared to 2000 (up 7%).
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?