Usenet posts

1. what's the deal with these sorts of posts that have the little banner at the top that says:

View this Usenet post in original ASCII form

just curious.

2. jcsd
  3. chroot

chroot 10,426
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The LaTeX system here tries to automatically extract math from Usenet posts and display it graphically; it also colorizes the different levels of quotation. The "original ASCII form" is the form actually transmitted over the Usenet.

- Warren

4. AHA! of course... now... what is usenet then? are the people posting through that not regular members or something?

5. chroot

chroot 10,426
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Usenet is a method of internet communication that predates the world wide web. It is a system used to transmit text information ("news") from one server to other servers; the news propagates from one server to all servers over a period of hours or days. It used to be accessed with a "newsreader," a text-based program which ran on a mainframe or other workstation. Most people access it today with much more sophisticated graphical newsreaders, or web interfaces like groups.google.com.

- Warren

6. jma2001

jma2001 89
    Gold Member

Oooohhhh, a young person who has never heard of Usenet ... NOW I feel old. :frown:

7. Hurkyl

Hurkyl 16,089
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Don't worry -- I bet there's lots of old people who've never heard of usenet too. :biggrin:

8. jma2001

jma2001 89
    Gold Member

True enough. Well, I don't blame anyone for not knowing about Usenet. Except for a few moderated newsgroups, Usenet has become a wasteland of spam, flame wars, and trolls. Web-based discussion forums like PF and Slashdot have taken its place.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?