Usenet Posts: What's the Deal?

• Thread starter Gale
  • Start date
In summary, Usenet is a method of internet communication used to transmit text information from one server to other servers. It predates the world wide web and is accessed through newsreaders or web interfaces. However, it has become a wasteland of spam, flame wars, and trolls and has been replaced by web-based discussion forums.
Gale
what's the deal with these sorts of posts that have the little banner at the top that says:

View this Usenet post in original ASCII form

just curious.

Physics news on Phys.org
The LaTeX system here tries to automatically extract math from Usenet posts and display it graphically; it also colorizes the different levels of quotation. The "original ASCII form" is the form actually transmitted over the Usenet.

- Warren

AHA! of course... now... what is usenet then? are the people posting through that not regular members or something?

Usenet is a method of internet communication that predates the world wide web. It is a system used to transmit text information ("news") from one server to other servers; the news propagates from one server to all servers over a period of hours or days. It used to be accessed with a "newsreader," a text-based program which ran on a mainframe or other workstation. Most people access it today with much more sophisticated graphical newsreaders, or web interfaces like groups.google.com.

- Warren

Gale17 said:
AHA! of course... now... what is usenet then? are the people posting through that not regular members or something?
Oooohhhh, a young person who has never heard of Usenet ... NOW I feel old. :frown:

Don't worry -- I bet there's lots of old people who've never heard of usenet too. :biggrin:

Hurkyl said:
Don't worry -- I bet there's lots of old people who've never heard of usenet too. :biggrin:
True enough. Well, I don't blame anyone for not knowing about Usenet. Except for a few moderated newsgroups, Usenet has become a wasteland of spam, flame wars, and trolls. Web-based discussion forums like PF and Slashdot have taken its place.

What is Usenet?

Usenet is a network of online discussion forums that originated in the 1980s. It allows users to post messages and engage in discussions on a wide range of topics.

What are Usenet posts?

Usenet posts are messages that are posted on Usenet discussion forums. They can be in the form of text, images, or files and are organized into different categories called newsgroups.

How do I access Usenet posts?

To access Usenet posts, you will need a Usenet provider and a newsreader software. The provider will give you access to the Usenet server, and the newsreader will allow you to browse and post messages on Usenet.

Are Usenet posts moderated?

Some Usenet newsgroups are moderated, meaning that a moderator reviews and approves all posts before they are published. However, many newsgroups are unmoderated, allowing anyone to post messages without approval.

What are the benefits of using Usenet posts?

Usenet posts offer a vast and diverse range of discussions and information on various topics. Usenet is also known for its high-speed and reliable downloading of files, making it a popular choice for sharing large files.