Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Suggestion User name in e-mail

1. Dec 29, 2011 #1
    I have received a couple of e-mails from PF members recently. First of all, if my e-mail address is visible to others, I would like to suppress that. But even if it is not visible, I do not wish to respond to these e-mails because I don't want to broadcast my e-mail address. I would PM my response, but I don't know their user names. I suggest that when an e-mail is sent via PF, the user name be attached to the message. That way I can contact the person without revealing my e-mail address.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 29, 2011 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

You need to go into your user preferences and disable "receiving e-mail from other members"

Go to My PF, "Messaging & Notification" uncheck "Receive Email from Other Members"

Last edited: Dec 29, 2011
  4. Dec 29, 2011 #3

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I just tried this. Using a test account available to Mentors, I sent an email to PF member George Jones. The test account was unable to see the email address of George Jones. I received an email from PFmember@Physics Forums. You should be able to PM PFmember.

5. Dec 29, 2011 #4
    How embarrassing. No one can send me an e-mail through PF because I have already turned it off. The e-mails that were sent to me came because I had put my e-mail address into one of my posts. Not embarrassing enough? Make that three separate posts. Never mind.

6. Dec 29, 2011 #5

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you haven't done so, I think you could ask a mentor to remove the address.

Physics Forums Global Guidelines

7. Dec 29, 2011 #6

jtbell

Hit the "Report" button on those posts, add a few words explaining why, and we'll be happy to delete the e-mail addresses for you.

Using "Report" instead of a PM ensures that we all see it and have a chance to act on it, instead of it maybe languishing unread in somebody's PM box for a while.

8. Dec 29, 2011 #7

Evo

Shhhh, Ixnay on the eefray edits! I already *fixed* Jimmy. All for the low low price of $50 per edit, paid in advance, of course.

(Evo will get that electric meat smoker any day now)

9. Dec 29, 2011 #8

Mark44

Insights Author

You're smoking electric meat, now?

Oh, wait, I'll bet you mean electric (meat smoker), not (electric meat) smoker. :devil:

10. Dec 29, 2011 #9

turbo

Gold Member

You didn't demand dark Belgian chocolate? I had to pay a lot to ship that stuff. PayPal would have been easier.

Never ask Evo for a favor!

11. Dec 29, 2011 #10
    My problem is fixed. However, the thread in which I had put my e-mail address has the e-mail addresses of a lot of other people too.

12. Dec 29, 2011 #11

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I was able to see the email address of a member who sent me a PF email in August. I don't think he wanted me to, considering how hostile he had been. The email I got was from <username>@physicsforums.com. It looked like this:
    This is a message from <username> at Physics Forums ( https://www.physicsforums.com/index.php ). The Physics Forums owners cannot accept any responsibility for the contents of the email.

To email <username>, you can use this online form:
    https://www.physicsforums.com/sendmessage.php?do=mailmember&u=<user id number>

OR, by email:
    mailto:<his email address at a university in germany>

This is the message:

<message text>

13. Dec 29, 2011 #12

turbo

Gold Member

Spam 'em! Spam 'em good!

14. Dec 29, 2011 #13

rhody

Gold Member

Jimmy being unwittingly responsible for spamming and phishing assaults on equally unwitting PF members, gotta love it (only kidding Jimmy, only kidding).

Rhody... :redface: :tongue:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?