Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

User name

1. Aug 17, 2005 #1

wolram

Gold Member

How did you pick yours?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 17, 2005 #2

JamesU

Gold Member

how did you pick yours?

4. Aug 17, 2005 #3

wolram

Gold Member

Easy say it backwards.

5. Aug 17, 2005 #4

EL

Science Advisor

Guess.....

6. Aug 17, 2005 #5

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Wow, what a coincidence! That's how I picked mine, too. Seems like everyone's favorite response to me is, "Gee, Bob ..... "

7. Aug 17, 2005 #6
    I selected my username from a list of five arrived at by the ancient Southwest Native American ritual of "Tossing the Knuckles", in which a set of armadillo knuckles are shaken up in a leather bag, then tossed onto the ground and "read" by the "Knuckle Man", head of the Armadillo Secret Society.

Since I had no armadillo knuckles, I used a bunch of old prescription pills I had at the back of the medicine cabinet, and since the last "Knuckle Man" died in 1957, I pulled a half sleeping, homeless man out of his cardboard and rag shelter on B-Street and told him to utter the first sounds that occured to him upon seeing the pills land, and I carefully recorded each answer on the sidewalk in chalk. Then I left.

Later that day, I returned to see which of the names had been scuffed away by the feet of passersby, and which hadn't. That was a couple/three years ago now, so I don't remember anymore which one was left.

8. Aug 17, 2005 #7

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:bugeye: Brilliant! I never noticed that before.

9. Aug 17, 2005 #8

wolram

Gold Member

Zooby, you should not keep old pills about, and how could you be so cruel
    to that homeless man :surprised

10. Aug 17, 2005 #9

wolram

Gold Member

They named the town after me :rofl:

11. Aug 17, 2005 #10

wolram

Gold Member

Even Less likely to shell out :rofl:

12. Aug 17, 2005 #11

EL

Science Advisor

Quite close...not :smile:

13. Aug 17, 2005 #12
    Boilerplate military call sign phonetically composed of "E" for Enlisted, "6" for rank of Staff Sergeant, and "S" for my last initial. My last OIC gave himself the callsign "Il Duce" because he fancied himself somewhat. And yes, in the military, giving yourself a callsign is the same as civilians giving themselves a nickname, it just dosen't work. He was no leader.

14. Aug 17, 2005 #13

wolram

Gold Member

I all ways fancied Romeo Mike, but that would have made me as bad as your
    OIC : :grumpy:

15. Aug 17, 2005 #14
    Clearly, I "tossed" the old pills at the first opportunity, and the homeless man is now honored to be under the impression he is a "Knckle Man" and leader of the Secret Armadillo Society. Did wonders for his self-esteem.

16. Aug 17, 2005 #15
    I just used the same name of my Diablo II account I created years ago.

17. Aug 17, 2005 #16
    Morphism
    So I was like, "well, I define a hypermorphism to be a map from a person into the internet, preserving the structure of the person's original thought process"... Um, yeah. :tongue:

18. Aug 17, 2005 #17

wolram

Gold Member

A bit like the Matrixs, and what a cheek putting an "f", in my UN, plagiarists

19. Aug 17, 2005 #18

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

arild is my first name, no is part of my last name.

If I recall correctly, Hurkyl was an avid fan of Magic:The Gathering earlier..

20. Aug 17, 2005 #19

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I have more fun thinking of your name as, "Arild! No!!!!!!" I just figured you heard that a lot from your mom when you were growing up and thought it was your full name. :biggrin:

21. Aug 17, 2005 #20
    Take a guess.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?