Username Definition

• Thread starter harpazo
  • Start date
I would like to know the meaning and/or background for the username you have chosen. Username stories are interesting. Do you agree?

Answers and Replies

Klystron
Gold Member
Yes, I agree. I chose Klystron since magnetron was already taken.

Yes, I agree. I chose Klystron since magnetron was already taken.
Ok. What do you like about Klystron?

I'm all about Monday.

I'm all about Monday.
You must like the song Monday, Monday, so good to me. Tell me, what's so special about Monday when most people despise the first day of the week?

I chose my real name.
Isn't that a bit dangerous to reveal your real name in an open forum?

Isn't that a bit dangerous to reveal your real name in an open forum?
Yeah, many people say so. But it's only the name; I am not giving away my bank account number or email. If that didn't satisfy you, I can say that I took the risk. :wink:

PeroK
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2021 Award
I've thought about changing my name to something more interesting, but I've never got round to it. Maybe I should do it?

Yeah, many people say so. But it's only the name; I am not giving away my bank account number or email. If that didn't satisfy you, I can say that I took the risk. :wink:
It's not about satisfying me. I was just curious why you chose to reveal your real name. It does not affect me one way or another.

I've thought about changing my name to something more interesting, but I've never got round to it. Maybe I should do it?
What would be an interesting username for you?

Twigg
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Mine's just a play on my initials. "Twig" is often taken, so I just threw in an extra "g" and it stuck

PeroK
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2021 Award
What would be an interesting username for you?
JosefK might have been better; or K2; or, something silly.

JosefK might have been better; or K2; or, something silly.
Ok. Whatever makes you happy works.

PeroK
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2021 Award
Ok. Whatever makes you happy works.
I've never been happy with PeroK.

Averagesupernova
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I chose my real name.
Me too!
-
Lol. J/K. The word supernova is a cool word to begin with. And with the shear energy of a supernova it really is difficult to describe one as average. That's me. A whole bundle of conflicting ideas, thoughts, tendencies, and abilities. Besides, it sounded better than Superaveragenova.

Likes Wrichik Basu and harpazo
Ibix
Science Advisor
Insights Author
My parents had a jigsaw of IBIX WITS CRICKS. It was just a thing on the shelf that I never really questioned. When I finally wondered what on earth an ibix wits cricks was and took it off the shelf to look it turned out to be an ibis with chicks, but the box used some illegible 1970s "futuristic" font. I liked Ibix, though, and kept it.

Klystron
Gold Member
Ok. What do you like about Klystron?
Always had a fondness for electronics, particularly RF (radio frequency) oscillators and receivers. Magnetrons and klystrons produce beautiful 'pure' electromagnetic fields for a variety of applications from warming your food to guiding craft in aerospace to powering colliders and linear accelerators.

I have considerably more hands on experience with magnetrons and comprehend electron cycloid rotation better than travelling waves; also klystrons generally resonate at more precise frequencies at higher energies than maggies. The latter feature actually makes magnetrons more interesting to me for radar applications; analogous to wayward children requiring more care and attention.

Well, I'm weird, so long ago I decided to have this user name on some dating sites. I don't know why I chose to have that name here, though. On most of the sites my username is AiDi, which is loosely related to my name (Adam). Some people (on polish sites) thought that it was related to word 'ID' because both AiDi and ID have the same pronounciation in polish. It's was not, but I kinda like this idea and sometimes I sign my PMs with that form of AiDi.

Always had a fondness for electronics, particularly RF (radio frequency) oscillators and receivers. Magnetrons and klystrons produce beautiful 'pure' electromagnetic fields for a variety of applications from warming your food to guiding craft in aerospace to powering colliders and linear accelerators.

I have considerably more hands on experience with magnetrons and comprehend electron cycloid rotation better than travelling waves; also klystrons generally resonate at more precise frequencies at higher energies than maggies. The latter feature actually makes magnetrons more interesting to me for radar applications; analogous to wayward children requiring more care and attention.
I was an Electrician's Mate in the Navy (1996-2000). However, when I returned to civilian life, I did not seek a job in the field of electronics. My first job after the Navy was per diem teacher for grades k-8.