Username Definition

• Thread starter harpazo
  • Start date
harpazo
I would like to know the meaning and/or background for the username you have chosen. Username stories are interesting. Do you agree?

Answers and Replies

Klystron
Gold Member
Yes, I agree. I chose Klystron since magnetron was already taken.

harpazo
Yes, I agree. I chose Klystron since magnetron was already taken.
Ok. What do you like about Klystron?

Mondayman
I'm all about Monday.

harpazo
I'm all about Monday.
You must like the song Monday, Monday, so good to me. Tell me, what's so special about Monday when most people despise the first day of the week?

harpazo
I chose my real name.
Isn't that a bit dangerous to reveal your real name in an open forum?

Wrichik Basu
Insights Author
Gold Member
2022 Award
Isn't that a bit dangerous to reveal your real name in an open forum?
Yeah, many people say so. But it's only the name; I am not giving away my bank account number or email. If that didn't satisfy you, I can say that I took the risk. :wink:

PeroK
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2022 Award
I've thought about changing my name to something more interesting, but I've never got round to it. Maybe I should do it?

harpazo
Yeah, many people say so. But it's only the name; I am not giving away my bank account number or email. If that didn't satisfy you, I can say that I took the risk. :wink:
It's not about satisfying me. I was just curious why you chose to reveal your real name. It does not affect me one way or another.

harpazo
I've thought about changing my name to something more interesting, but I've never got round to it. Maybe I should do it?
What would be an interesting username for you?

Twigg
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Mine's just a play on my initials. "Twig" is often taken, so I just threw in an extra "g" and it stuck

PeroK
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2022 Award
What would be an interesting username for you?
JosefK might have been better; or K2; or, something silly.

harpazo
JosefK might have been better; or K2; or, something silly.
Ok. Whatever makes you happy works.

PeroK
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2022 Award
Ok. Whatever makes you happy works.
I've never been happy with PeroK.

Averagesupernova
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I chose my real name.
Me too!
-
Lol. J/K. The word supernova is a cool word to begin with. And with the shear energy of a supernova it really is difficult to describe one as average. That's me. A whole bundle of conflicting ideas, thoughts, tendencies, and abilities. Besides, it sounded better than Superaveragenova.

Likes Wrichik Basu and harpazo
harpazo
I've never been happy with PeroK.
Understood.

Ibix
Science Advisor
Insights Author
2022 Award
My parents had a jigsaw of IBIX WITS CRICKS. It was just a thing on the shelf that I never really questioned. When I finally wondered what on Earth an ibix wits cricks was and took it off the shelf to look it turned out to be an ibis with chicks, but the box used some illegible 1970s "futuristic" font. I liked Ibix, though, and kept it.

Klystron
Gold Member
Ok. What do you like about Klystron?
Always had a fondness for electronics, particularly RF (radio frequency) oscillators and receivers. Magnetrons and klystrons produce beautiful 'pure' electromagnetic fields for a variety of applications from warming your food to guiding craft in aerospace to powering colliders and linear accelerators.

I have considerably more hands on experience with magnetrons and comprehend electron cycloid rotation better than traveling waves; also klystrons generally resonate at more precise frequencies at higher energies than maggies. The latter feature actually makes magnetrons more interesting to me for radar applications; analogous to wayward children requiring more care and attention.

weirdoguy
Well, I'm weird, so long ago I decided to have this user name on some dating sites. I don't know why I chose to have that name here, though. On most of the sites my username is AiDi, which is loosely related to my name (Adam). Some people (on polish sites) thought that it was related to word 'ID' because both AiDi and ID have the same pronounciation in polish. It's was not, but I kinda like this idea and sometimes I sign my PMs with that form of AiDi.

harpazo
Always had a fondness for electronics, particularly RF (radio frequency) oscillators and receivers. Magnetrons and klystrons produce beautiful 'pure' electromagnetic fields for a variety of applications from warming your food to guiding craft in aerospace to powering colliders and linear accelerators.

I have considerably more hands on experience with magnetrons and comprehend electron cycloid rotation better than traveling waves; also klystrons generally resonate at more precise frequencies at higher energies than maggies. The latter feature actually makes magnetrons more interesting to me for radar applications; analogous to wayward children requiring more care and attention.
I was an Electrician's Mate in the Navy (1996-2000). However, when I returned to civilian life, I did not seek a job in the field of electronics. My first job after the Navy was per diem teacher for grades k-8.

harpazo
Well, I'm weird, so long ago I decided to have this user name on some dating sites. I don't know why I chose to have that name here, though. On most of the sites my username is AiDi, which is loosely related to my name (Adam). Some people (on polish sites) thought that it was related to word 'ID' because both AiDi and ID have the same pronounciation in polish. It's was not, but I kinda like this idea and sometimes I sign my PMs with that form of AiDi.
There's a little bit of weirdness in every person but you already know that.

Klystron
Gold Member
I was an Electrician's Mate in the Navy (1996-2000). However, when I returned to civilian life, I did not seek a job in the field of electronics. My first job after the Navy was per diem teacher for grades k-8.
Served as as a USAF radar tech (1971-1979) in SEA the last years of the Vietnam War then with more exotic systems on various electronic warfare ranges north of Nellis AFB; i.e., beyond Dreamland. Bravo for teaching children. I taught radar science and EW tactics to officers and enlisted as my last Air Force assignment but, tired of endless warfare, switched to mathematics and computer science as my civilian career.

So, what is the meaning behind your user name? Do you play a hazardous harp?

• Wow
Likes pinball1970 and harpazo
harpazo
Served as as a USAF radar tech (1971-1979) in SEA the last years of the Vietnam War then with more exotic systems on various electronic warfare ranges north of Nellis AFB; i.e., beyond Dreamland. Bravo for teaching children. I taught radar science and EW tactics to officers and enlisted as my last Air Force assignment but, tired of endless warfare, switched to mathematics and computer science as my civilian career.

So, what is the meaning behind your user name? Do you play a hazardous harp?
Hazardous harp? Meaning?

The New Testament was originally written in Greek. King James of England had the Old and New Testaments translated into English in the year 1611. In the original New Testament, the word harpazo is used 13 times but it is mainly used to define the apostle Paul's words "caught up" in 1st Thessalonians 4 verse 17. What does harpazo mean?

harpazo:

1) to seize, carry off by force

2) to seize on, claim for one' s self eagerly

3) to snatch out or away

4) an irresistible divine force that will violently snatch up believers in the rapture of the church imminent event.

5) caught up

Mondayman
There was no thought process behind my name. It just came to my head. To me, Mondayman sounds like some keener at work that everybody avoids.

I usually choose stupid or inappropriate words or sayings. On Facebook, I had changed my name to Richard Tree. After a bit, I then inserted the short form for Richard, so my name for a while was $&#@ Tree, until somebody complained.

harpazo
There was no thought process behind my name. It just came to my head. To me, Mondayman sounds like some keener at work that everybody avoids.

I usually choose stupid or inappropriate words or sayings. On Facebook, I had changed my name to Richard Tree. After a bit, I then inserted the short form for Richard, so my name for a while was $&#@ Tree, until somebody complained.
Somebody complained about your FB username. Really? I guess it’s easier for humans to gripe than it is to pay a compliment.

Ygggdrasil
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
Mine's just a play on my initials. "Twig" is often taken, so I just threw in an extra "g" and it stuck
I am also a fan of adding an extra "g" when my typical username is taken.

dlgoff
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Username stories are interesting. Do you agree?
No.

• Sad
  • Informative
Likes weirdoguy and jack action
pinball1970
Gold Member
I am also a fan of adding an extra "g" when my typical username is taken.
"Pinball" is a 1974 song by Brian Protheroe, I added 1970 because that was my favourite year of the series the rock and roll years.

Deep Purple were on TOTPs along with Free, Lindisfarne and some other great acts.

I think that was first time I had seen DP Mk2 on TV

A sad year too, the Beatles split and Hendrix and Janis Joplin died.

Bittersweet.

Likes Astronuc and PeroK

Suggested for: Username Definition

• Last Post
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies
Views
Replies