What made 1970 a memorable year in music?

• Thread starter harpazo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Definition
In summary, username Klystron is interesting because it is related to the word "ID," which has a different pronunciation in Polish. This user also has a lot of experience with magnetrons and is interested in radar applications.
harpazo
I would like to know the meaning and/or background for the username you have chosen. Username stories are interesting. Do you agree?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, I agree. I chose Klystron since magnetron was already taken.

Likes harpazo
Klystron said:
Yes, I agree. I chose Klystron since magnetron was already taken.
Ok. What do you like about Klystron?

I'm all about Monday.

Likes harpazo
Mondayman said:
I'm all about Monday.
You must like the song Monday, Monday, so good to me. Tell me, what's so special about Monday when most people despise the first day of the week?

Wrichik Basu said:
I chose my real name.
Isn't that a bit dangerous to reveal your real name in an open forum?

harpazo said:
Isn't that a bit dangerous to reveal your real name in an open forum?
Yeah, many people say so. But it's only the name; I am not giving away my bank account number or email. If that didn't satisfy you, I can say that I took the risk. :wink:

Likes harpazo
I've thought about changing my name to something more interesting, but I've never got round to it. Maybe I should do it?

Wrichik Basu said:
Yeah, many people say so. But it's only the name; I am not giving away my bank account number or email. If that didn't satisfy you, I can say that I took the risk. :wink:
It's not about satisfying me. I was just curious why you chose to reveal your real name. It does not affect me one way or another.

PeroK said:
I've thought about changing my name to something more interesting, but I've never got round to it. Maybe I should do it?
What would be an interesting username for you?

jack action said:
A thread that might be of interest: Explain your avatar (my explanation)
My avatar is a picture of the Coney Island Boardwalk located in Brooklyn, New York.

Mine's just a play on my initials. "Twig" is often taken, so I just threw in an extra "g" and it stuck

Likes harpazo
harpazo said:
What would be an interesting username for you?
JosefK might have been better; or K2; or, something silly.

PeroK said:
JosefK might have been better; or K2; or, something silly.
Ok. Whatever makes you happy works.

harpazo said:
Ok. Whatever makes you happy works.
I've never been happy with PeroK.

• Sad
Likes BillTre
Wrichik Basu said:
I chose my real name.
Me too!
-
Lol. J/K. The word supernova is a cool word to begin with. And with the shear energy of a supernova it really is difficult to describe one as average. That's me. A whole bundle of conflicting ideas, thoughts, tendencies, and abilities. Besides, it sounded better than Superaveragenova.

Likes Wrichik Basu and harpazo
PeroK said:
Understood.

My parents had a jigsaw of IBIX WITS CRICKS. It was just a thing on the shelf that I never really questioned. When I finally wondered what on Earth an ibix wits cricks was and took it off the shelf to look it turned out to be an ibis with chicks, but the box used some illegible 1970s "futuristic" font. I liked Ibix, though, and kept it.

Likes Klystron
PeroK said:
But... what?!

harpazo said:
Ok. What do you like about Klystron?
Always had a fondness for electronics, particularly RF (radio frequency) oscillators and receivers. Magnetrons and klystrons produce beautiful 'pure' electromagnetic fields for a variety of applications from warming your food to guiding craft in aerospace to powering colliders and linear accelerators.

I have considerably more hands on experience with magnetrons and comprehend electron cycloid rotation better than traveling waves; also klystrons generally resonate at more precise frequencies at higher energies than maggies. The latter feature actually makes magnetrons more interesting to me for radar applications; analogous to wayward children requiring more care and attention.

harpazo said:
Username stories are interesting. Do you agree?
No.

• Wow
Likes weirdoguy
Well, I'm weird, so long ago I decided to have this user name on some dating sites. I don't know why I chose to have that name here, though. On most of the sites my username is AiDi, which is loosely related to my name (Adam). Some people (on polish sites) thought that it was related to word 'ID' because both AiDi and ID have the same pronounciation in polish. It's was not, but I kinda like this idea and sometimes I sign my PMs with that form of AiDi.

Klystron said:
Always had a fondness for electronics, particularly RF (radio frequency) oscillators and receivers. Magnetrons and klystrons produce beautiful 'pure' electromagnetic fields for a variety of applications from warming your food to guiding craft in aerospace to powering colliders and linear accelerators.

I have considerably more hands on experience with magnetrons and comprehend electron cycloid rotation better than traveling waves; also klystrons generally resonate at more precise frequencies at higher energies than maggies. The latter feature actually makes magnetrons more interesting to me for radar applications; analogous to wayward children requiring more care and attention.
I was an Electrician's Mate in the Navy (1996-2000). However, when I returned to civilian life, I did not seek a job in the field of electronics. My first job after the Navy was per diem teacher for grades k-8.

Likes Klystron
weirdoguy said:
Well, I'm weird, so long ago I decided to have this user name on some dating sites. I don't know why I chose to have that name here, though. On most of the sites my username is AiDi, which is loosely related to my name (Adam). Some people (on polish sites) thought that it was related to word 'ID' because both AiDi and ID have the same pronounciation in polish. It's was not, but I kinda like this idea and sometimes I sign my PMs with that form of AiDi.
There's a little bit of weirdness in every person but you already know that.

harpazo said:
I was an Electrician's Mate in the Navy (1996-2000). However, when I returned to civilian life, I did not seek a job in the field of electronics. My first job after the Navy was per diem teacher for grades k-8.
Served as as a USAF radar tech (1971-1979) in SEA the last years of the Vietnam War then with more exotic systems on various electronic warfare ranges north of Nellis AFB; i.e., beyond Dreamland. Bravo for teaching children. I taught radar science and EW tactics to officers and enlisted as my last Air Force assignment but, tired of endless warfare, switched to mathematics and computer science as my civilian career.

So, what is the meaning behind your user name? Do you play a hazardous harp?

• Wow
Likes pinball1970 and harpazo
Klystron said:
Served as as a USAF radar tech (1971-1979) in SEA the last years of the Vietnam War then with more exotic systems on various electronic warfare ranges north of Nellis AFB; i.e., beyond Dreamland. Bravo for teaching children. I taught radar science and EW tactics to officers and enlisted as my last Air Force assignment but, tired of endless warfare, switched to mathematics and computer science as my civilian career.

So, what is the meaning behind your user name? Do you play a hazardous harp?
Hazardous harp? Meaning?

The New Testament was originally written in Greek. King James of England had the Old and New Testaments translated into English in the year 1611. In the original New Testament, the word harpazo is used 13 times but it is mainly used to define the apostle Paul's words "caught up" in 1st Thessalonians 4 verse 17. What does harpazo mean?

harpazo:

1) to seize, carry off by force

2) to seize on, claim for one' s self eagerly

3) to snatch out or away

4) an irresistible divine force that will violently snatch up believers in the rapture of the church imminent event.

5) caught up

There was no thought process behind my name. It just came to my head. To me, Mondayman sounds like some keener at work that everybody avoids.

I usually choose stupid or inappropriate words or sayings. On Facebook, I had changed my name to Richard Tree. After a bit, I then inserted the short form for Richard, so my name for a while was $&#@ Tree, until somebody complained.

Mondayman said:
There was no thought process behind my name. It just came to my head. To me, Mondayman sounds like some keener at work that everybody avoids.

I usually choose stupid or inappropriate words or sayings. On Facebook, I had changed my name to Richard Tree. After a bit, I then inserted the short form for Richard, so my name for a while was $&#@ Tree, until somebody complained.
Somebody complained about your FB username. Really? I guess it’s easier for humans to gripe than it is to pay a compliment.

Twigg said:
Mine's just a play on my initials. "Twig" is often taken, so I just threw in an extra "g" and it stuck
I am also a fan of adding an extra "g" when my typical username is taken.

Likes Twigg
harpazo said:
Username stories are interesting. Do you agree?
No.

• Sad
  • Informative
Likes weirdoguy and jack action
Ygggdrasil said:
I am also a fan of adding an extra "g" when my typical username is taken.
"Pinball" is a 1974 song by Brian Protheroe, I added 1970 because that was my favourite year of the series the rock and roll years.

Deep Purple were on TOTPs along with Free, Lindisfarne and some other great acts.

I think that was first time I had seen DP Mk2 on TV

A sad year too, the Beatles split and Hendrix and Janis Joplin died.

Bittersweet.

Likes Astronuc and PeroK

1. What significant events happened in the music world in 1970?

In 1970, the Beatles officially disbanded, Jimi Hendrix and Janis Joplin both tragically passed away, and the first ever Glastonbury Festival took place. Additionally, the Woodstock Festival in 1969 heavily influenced the music scene in 1970, with many artists releasing music inspired by the event.

2. Which albums were released in 1970 that are still considered classics today?

Some iconic albums released in 1970 include Led Zeppelin III, Black Sabbath's self-titled debut album, and Simon & Garfunkel's Bridge Over Troubled Water. Other notable albums include The Doors' Morrison Hotel, The Who's Live at Leeds, and Neil Young's After the Gold Rush.

3. How did 1970 mark a shift in music genres?

1970 saw the rise of new genres such as hard rock and heavy metal, with bands like Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath gaining popularity. It also marked the beginning of the singer-songwriter era, with artists like James Taylor and Joni Mitchell breaking into the mainstream. The 1970s also saw the emergence of funk and disco music.

4. Who were the biggest artists of 1970?

The biggest artists of 1970 included The Beatles, who released their final album Let It Be, and Simon & Garfunkel, who had a number one hit with "Bridge Over Troubled Water." Other notable artists include The Rolling Stones, The Who, and Elton John, who released his breakthrough album Elton John in 1970.

5. How did 1970 influence the future of music?

1970 set the stage for the evolution of music in the following decades. The rise of new genres and the success of artists like Elton John and James Taylor paved the way for the singer-songwriter movement in the 1970s. The disbandment of the Beatles also marked the end of an era and allowed for new artists and bands to emerge and shape the music landscape in the years to come.