What is the potential for using a conductive flame in audio technology?

• Thread starter jmatejka
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of electrodes to measure the resistance of a flame in a natural gas pizza oven as a safety feature. The potential applications of altering a flame, such as in an internal combustion engine, are also mentioned. The idea of using a flame as a speaker, with low mass for good fidelity, and the limitations of this approach are also discussed.
jmatejka
Many years ago I worked on a natural gas pizza oven. The oven had electrodes that measured resistance of the flame. If too high, the oven assumed loss of flame and shut down. This was a safety feature.

My College General Physics text shows a flame distorted by the field from a nearby Van De Graaff Generator.

I can think of many potential applications of altering a flame, perhaps varying the flame spread in an internal combustion engine?

Any other real world applications you know of?

My assumption is different flames = different resistance values

Would an Oxy Acetylene flame be more conductive when rich on oxygen?, or when sooty from lack of oxygen?

Thanks for any input, Regards, John

Physics news on Phys.org
Years ago I read of making a speaker using two probes in a flame, connected to a sound source. It is supposed to provide very good fidelity due to the low mass of the flame.

Integral said:
Years ago I read of making a speaker using two probes in a flame, connected to a sound source. It is supposed to provide very good fidelity due to the low mass of the flame.

To even further side track us they have made speakers out of carbon nanotubes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Integral said:

Fascinating idea!

Integral said:

The down side, as I recall, was that frequencies whose half wavelength was longer than the distance between the electrodes were severely attenuated. This meant that unless you were willing to have a spectacular 10 foot pulsating flame in your living room, you wouldn't get good bass response.

What is a conductive flame?

A conductive flame is a flame that has a high concentration of charged particles, making it more conductive than a regular flame. This means that it can conduct electricity and heat more efficiently, making it useful for various applications.

What are some common uses for a conductive flame?

One common use for a conductive flame is in welding and metalworking, as the high heat and conductivity of the flame allows for precise and efficient joining of metal parts. It can also be used in the production of semiconductors and other electronic components, as well as in cutting and shaping materials such as glass and ceramics.

How does a conductive flame differ from a regular flame?

A regular flame is primarily made up of hot gases, while a conductive flame has a higher concentration of charged particles, such as ions and electrons. This makes a conductive flame more efficient at transferring heat and conducting electricity, making it useful for specialized applications.

Are there any safety concerns when using a conductive flame?

Yes, there are some safety concerns when using a conductive flame. The high heat and conductivity of the flame can cause burns and start fires if not used properly. It is important to follow safety protocols and use protective equipment when working with a conductive flame.

Can a conductive flame be used for medical purposes?

Yes, a conductive flame can be used for medical purposes. It is often used in medical procedures such as cauterization and sterilization, as the high heat and conductivity of the flame can effectively kill bacteria and seal wounds. However, caution must be taken when using a conductive flame in medical settings to prevent burns and other injuries.