Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Uses for a Conductive Flame

1. Jun 15, 2009 #1
    Many years ago I worked on a natural gas pizza oven. The oven had electrodes that measured resistance of the flame. If too high, the oven assumed loss of flame and shut down. This was a safety feature.

My College General Physics text shows a flame distorted by the field from a nearby Van De Graaff Generator.

I can think of many potential applications of altering a flame, perhaps varying the flame spread in an internal combustion engine?

Any other real world applications you know of?

My assumption is different flames = different resistance values

Would an Oxy Acetylene flame be more conductive when rich on oxygen?, or when sooty from lack of oxygen?

Thanks for any input, Regards, John

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 15, 2009 #2

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Years ago I read of making a speaker using two probes in a flame, connected to a sound source. It is supposed to provide very good fidelity due to the low mass of the flame.

4. Jun 15, 2009 #3

Born2bwire

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

To even further side track us they have made speakers out of carbon nanotubes.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  5. Jun 15, 2009 #4
    Fascinating idea!

6. Jun 15, 2009 #5
    The down side, as I recall, was that frequencies whose half wavelength was longer than the distance between the electrodes were severely attenuated. This meant that unless you were willing to have a spectacular 10 foot pulsating flame in your living room, you wouldn't get good bass response.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook