Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Uses for Symmetric Equations

1. Jun 2, 2014 #1
    It seems that the only applicable use I've seen is in finding intercepts on various axes. Are there any other instances where this form would used? What else can this be used for?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 2, 2014 #2

Matterwave

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You have to be more specific.

4. Jun 2, 2014 #3
    I haven't seen symmetric equations used for anything but finding intercepts, but they can be found using the parametric equations as well. I was wondering in what other instances would it be helpful/necessary to use this form. E.g. a linear equation is helpful when there are certain terms vs point slope

5. Jun 2, 2014 #4

Matterwave

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

By symmetric equation, do you mean a symmetric function? Like f(x)=x^2? Symmetric about what? This is what I meant by "more specific". Maybe you have a textbook with pictures to show?

As it stands, I have no idea what you're talking about.

6. Jun 2, 2014 #5
    http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/CalcIII/EqnsOfLines.aspx Symmetric equations of the line

7. Jun 2, 2014 #6

Matterwave

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ok, well, as you can probably figure out by the fact that I don't even recall this terminology, I have never encountered another use for this way of expressing the equation of a line. But I am in physics. Maybe someone in math will know of some applications.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook