Uses of Asteroids: Incredible Potential for Space Exploration

• Thread starter Phy6explorer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Asteroids
In summary: The asteroid's composition is mostly rocky material, with a small amount of metal. The metal is usually in the form of dust or rocks. The amount of metal in an asteroid is not very high, so it would be difficult to extract it. The main use of asteroids is for mining resources. The metals in asteroids are rare and expensive to extract, so it would be useful to have a source of these metals. It is also possible to use asteroids as a base for space stations. Asteroids have low gravity, so they can be used as a base for space missions. Asteroids are not very big, so they are not suitable for living in. The main purpose of asteroids is to
Phy6explorer
I just read that asteroids have uses? I was simply stunned.I always thought them to be killers from space!It has been suggested that the asteroids might be used in the future as a source of materials which may be rare or exhausted on Earth or materials for constructing space habitats! Materials that are heavy and expensive to launch from Earth may someday be mined from asteroids and used for space manufacturing and construction.What's your take on this?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I don't think there would be much use from them, as they are mostly carbon. Not to mention the resources that would be required to retrieve what metals would not be efficient.

They also contain a lot of metals.
They were formed out of the same stuff as the Earth except the metals haven't oxidised to you can mine pure iron / nickel etc from them.

And with added advantage that you don't have to lift them out of the gravity well of a planet - still a long way off from being a practical operation!

I don't know! That's what I read. But constructing space habitats from materials that's had the capacity to move without having problems due to the gravitational force sounds quite appealing to me!

One plan is to actually construct a habitat within a large asteroid. As a mining colony digs the insides out of an asteroid for use on other things, the asteroid itself becomes a large, air-tight (if dug properly), hollow space. Pump in an atmosphere, spin the thing to simulate gravity, and people could live inside it. It should be cheaper than building a station of comperable size.

That was exactly something I was thinking about.( Well,not exactly!) But sounds good.Instead of floating around in space we could stand...like humans should!

Asteroids aren't big enough to have any serious gravity.
They also aren't necessarily structurally sound or solid.

Planets form because gas/dust/stuff collects and under it's own gravity gets pulled together and melts under the heat and pressure - that's also why planets are round.
Only the largest asteroids look like the tradiational rock that fleeing star wars heros can hide in, most of them are just clouds of pebbles held together with ice and are constantly melting and reforming.

I just thought, maybe it's thinking too far into the future... Maybe? But I guess they could be a good resource source for space stations and other settlements/bases off of earth.

Phy6explorer said:
I just read that asteroids have uses? I was simply stunned.I always thought them to be killers from space!It has been suggested that the asteroids might be used in the future as a source of materials which may be rare or exhausted on Earth or materials for constructing space habitats! Materials that are heavy and expensive to launch from Earth may someday be mined from asteroids and used for space manufacturing and construction.What's your take on this?
The idea of mining asteroids has been one of many topics discussed at some conferences for the last two decades (e.g. STAIF) and perhaps longer. During the 1980's, during period when NASA was seriously considering missions to Mars, mining asteroids was also seriously considered.

Since then it's more or less on the back burner.

Here is some information on composition - http://www.psrd.hawaii.edu/Feb02/eros.html

Here is an ESA page - Asteroids: Structure and composition of asteroids
http://www.esa.int/esaSC/SEM044W4QWD_index_0.html

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What are asteroids?

Asteroids are small, rocky bodies that orbit the sun and are typically found in the asteroid belt between Mars and Jupiter. They are remnants from the formation of the solar system and range in size from a few feet to several hundred miles in diameter.

2. How can asteroids be used for space exploration?

Asteroids have incredible potential for space exploration because they contain valuable resources such as water, metals, and minerals. These resources can be extracted and used to sustain human life and build infrastructure in space.

3. What is the benefit of using asteroids for space exploration instead of other planets?

Asteroids are much smaller and easier to reach than planets, making them more accessible for space exploration. Additionally, the resources found on asteroids can be used to refuel spacecraft and support long-term space missions.

4. Can asteroids pose a threat to Earth?

While there is a small chance of an asteroid colliding with Earth, scientists are constantly monitoring and tracking potentially hazardous asteroids. Additionally, the study of asteroids can provide valuable information and techniques for planetary defense against potential threats.

5. How can the use of asteroids benefit humanity?

The use of asteroids for space exploration can open up new opportunities for human expansion and colonization in space. It can also lead to advancements in technology and resource sustainability, ultimately improving the quality of life for humanity.