How Do I Use a Centigram Balance to Measure a Copper Slug?

• Thread starter AngelShare
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Balance
In summary, the conversation is about someone trying to use online lab software for an assignment involving measuring a copper slug using a Centigram Balance. They are unsure about the measurement and are asking for help. However, they later state that they have completed the assignment correctly and do not need assistance anymore. Another person also asks for help with the same lab.
AngelShare
I'm trying to use online lab software to do my assignment but I'm not sure if I'm doing this right...

I'm to measure a copper slug (I think that's what it is) using a Centigram Balance. There are three rulers or whatever they are on this thing...the one in the very back is at 0, the one in the middle is at 2, and the one in the front is at .3. Would that be 2.3? And if so, is that 2.3 centigrams?

EDIT: Same thing...if I'm weighing something and the back ruler goes to 40, the middle 5, and the front .2, would that equal 45.2?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You could be reading it right. It is difficult for any of us to help you more without more information. Are there any identifying markings on the balance that indicate the range on each ruler? Can you post some pictures of balance? or an "open" weblink to it?

Never mind, I went on with the assignment and I believe I did it correctly. I was just posting here to make sure but I went on ahead after waiting a bit since I needed to turn it in. I'll just keep my fingers crossed.:biggrin:

Hi Angelshare, I was loooking at your post and i found that I'm actually doing the same lab but i don't really understand, can u help me please if you have that lab answer still!

What is a centigram balance?

A centigram balance is a type of scientific measuring instrument used to determine the mass or weight of an object with a precision of one hundredth of a gram. It is commonly used in laboratories and research settings.

How does a centigram balance work?

A centigram balance works by using a calibrated beam or electronic sensors to measure the force of gravity acting on an object placed on the balance. The balance then displays the weight of the object in grams or other units of measurement.

What is the maximum weight that can be measured using a centigram balance?

The maximum weight that can be measured using a centigram balance depends on the specific model, but most can measure up to 200 grams. Some models may have a higher capacity, but the precision may decrease with heavier weights.

What are the benefits of using a centigram balance?

Using a centigram balance allows for precise and accurate measurements of small masses. It is also a relatively simple and easy to use instrument, making it a useful tool for scientists and researchers.

How should a centigram balance be maintained and calibrated?

A centigram balance should be kept clean and free of debris to ensure accurate measurements. It should also be calibrated regularly using standard weights to ensure its accuracy. If the balance is not functioning properly, it may need to be recalibrated or serviced by a professional.