Force Gauge vs. Scale: Which is a More Accurate Measure of Deformation?

In summary: I'm trying to make a fixture measure how much force it takes to deform various items. However, digital force gauges costs upwards from while simple scales don't cost much at all. What's the difference between using a fancy force gauge and placing a digital scale underneath an item that's being compressed?A fancy force gauge will cost more up front but will be able to measure larger forces with greater accuracy. A digital scale can be used to measure smaller forces more accurately than a fancy force gauge, but it cannot measure larger forces.
momotime
I'm trying to make a fixture measure how much force it takes to deform various items.

However, digital force gauges costs upwards from while simple scales don't cost much at all. What's the difference between using a fancy force gauge and placing a digital scale underneath an item that's being compressed?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Nothing I can think of.

Edit: Except that not all cheap weighing scales are well calibrated. Some may also have hysteresis (eg you get a different result when the force is increasing vs decreasing). Presumably you aren't planning to send the experiment to another planet or up a mountain (eg no changes in g?)

Thanks for the input! I think I figured it out though... I'm assuming scales can give a different reading from a force gauge because items can absorb energy, making the scale give a different reading than the force being acted upon the object?

Example -- if you use a scale to punch a wall, the maximum reading will reveal the force of your punch. But if you use a scale to punch a pillow, the absorption of force will cause the reading to change...?

momotime said:
Example -- if you use a scale to punch a wall, the maximum reading will reveal the force of your punch. But if you use a scale to punch a pillow, the absorption of force will cause the reading to change...?

No - in both cases the scale is correctly recording the force that you're actually applying.

It takes much less force to compress a pillow than it does to compress a wall - and you cannot push on an object any harder than it pushes back on you.

What Nugatory said, plus, if you are putting a force transducer underneath the object, as in your OP, you are not measuring "the force of your punch." You are measuring the force that is transmitted through the object and reacted against whatever it is resting on. The difference is the mass x acceleration of the object, if it changes shape when you punch it.

1. What is the difference between a force gauge and a scale?

A force gauge is a measuring instrument used to determine the amount of force applied to an object. It typically uses a spring or strain gauge mechanism to measure force in units of Newtons (N) or pounds (lbs). A scale, on the other hand, is a measuring instrument used to determine the weight of an object. It measures the force of gravity acting on an object and displays the value in units of kilograms (kg) or pounds (lbs). Essentially, a force gauge measures force, while a scale measures weight.

2. Can a force gauge be used as a scale or vice versa?

Technically, a force gauge can be used as a scale in some cases, as it measures the weight of an object by determining the force required to lift it. However, it may not provide accurate measurements for smaller objects due to the sensitivity of force gauges. Similarly, a scale can be used to measure force, but it may not be as precise as a force gauge. It is best to use each instrument for its intended purpose to ensure accurate measurements.

3. When should I use a force gauge instead of a scale?

A force gauge should be used when the amount of force applied to an object needs to be measured, such as in tension or compression testing. It is commonly used in industries such as manufacturing, aerospace, and healthcare for quality control and product testing. A scale, on the other hand, is typically used for everyday weighing purposes, such as measuring ingredients for cooking or determining the weight of a package for shipping.

4. Are there different types of force gauges and scales?

Yes, there are different types of force gauges and scales available, each with its own unique features and capabilities. Some force gauges may be digital or analog, while others may have different measuring ranges and accuracy levels. Similarly, scales can vary in size, shape, and weighing capacity. It is important to choose the appropriate type of instrument for your specific measurement needs.

5. How do I calibrate a force gauge or scale?

Both force gauges and scales require calibration to ensure accurate measurements. Calibration involves comparing the instrument's readings to a known standard and making any necessary adjustments. Force gauges can be calibrated using known weights or a calibration machine, while scales can be calibrated using calibration weights or an internal calibration feature. It is recommended to calibrate these instruments regularly to maintain their accuracy.