Using a fountain pen for homemade conductive ink

In summary, the conversation is about making conductive ink at home using charcoal. The person asking has two questions: if it can be made more like traditional ink while keeping its conductive properties, and if it can be used in a fountain pen. The expert advises against using a fountain pen due to the adhesive properties of the ink, and suggests using a conventional pen or quill pen instead. They also mention using pre-ground graphite or soft pencil lines as possible alternatives.
Farhad-.-
I've recently found out about conductive ink and thought i'd make some at home with charcoal. However most guides online always keep using brushes and such and their mix seems to be very low adhesive properties.
Therefor, I have two questions. Is there a way to make it more like a traditional ink and keep it conductive? Can I pour it into a fountain pen and use it like a normal pen to draw circuits?

If you are wondering which ingridients are going to be used, I am going to follow this specific DIY Conductive Ink because I have all the items needed at home. ( )

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Hello Farhad,
I think it would be wise to restrict yourself to using brushes: the glue and the grit will not make it through to the nib of a fountain pen. If you want to experiment, better use a conventional pen (the kind you have to dip into the ink from time to time) or a quill pen.
The recipe in the video is pretty self-explanatory; they add some black paint, probably because the charcoal grit won't do much blackening.
If you want to experiment: graphite is used for lubrication of locks and hinges and should be pre-ground for you (which will keep the blender-owner a lot happier :smile:). For that matter: pencil lines from a soft pencil might conduct nicely too ! Give it a try !

BvU said:
Hello Farhad,
I think it would be wise to restrict yourself to using brushes: the glue and the grit will not make it through to the nib of a fountain pen. If you want to experiment, better use a conventional pen (the kind you have to dip into the ink from time to time) or a quill pen.
The recipe in the video is pretty self-explanatory; they add some black paint, probably because the charcoal grit won't do much blackening.
If you want to experiment: graphite is used for lubrication of locks and hinges and should be pre-ground for you (which will keep the blender-owner a lot happier :smile:). For that matter: pencil lines from a soft pencil might conduct nicely too ! Give it a try !
Thanks for your response, I will try it out! :D Btw, I thought I'd use pure graphite because I have it laying around.

1. What materials do I need to make homemade conductive ink for a fountain pen?

To make homemade conductive ink for a fountain pen, you will need graphite powder, water, a binder (such as gum arabic or shellac), and a fountain pen with a wide nib.

2. How do I mix the ingredients for homemade conductive ink?

First, mix the graphite powder and water together until you have a smooth consistency. Then, add in the binder and mix thoroughly. It is important to use the right amount of each ingredient to achieve the correct conductivity for your ink.

3. Can I use any fountain pen for homemade conductive ink?

No, it is important to use a fountain pen with a wide nib to ensure that the ink flows smoothly and evenly. A narrow nib may not allow for enough ink to be deposited, resulting in a weak and inconsistent conductive line.

4. How do I know if my homemade conductive ink is working?

You can test your ink by drawing a line on a piece of paper and using a multimeter to measure the resistance of the line. Ideally, the resistance should be low, indicating that the ink is conducting electricity well.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when using homemade conductive ink?

Yes, it is important to handle graphite powder with care as it can be messy and may cause respiratory irritation if inhaled. It is also important to thoroughly clean your fountain pen after each use to prevent clogging and ensure the longevity of your pen.