Using a timing belt for a Dynamometer

In summary, the speaker is seeking help with their motor/generator dynamometer design. They have questions about their free body diagrams, the worst case scenario for the belt and shaft design, and the conditions that would provide the biggest load on the system. They are open to any assistance and are prepared to work through any stumbling blocks in their design process.
robs314
Hello, I was wondering if someone could help me understand this situation.

I am designing a motor/generator dynamometer, which is to be arranged as shown in the attached picture.

There is a fixed high power DC motor transmitting power via a Syncronous / Timing belt to a motor which is under test. The Motor Under Test is on a pivoted plate above it, so the reactionary torque produced by the rotating plate should be measurable with a load cell.

I have come across plenty of material on driving-driven pairs of pulleys, but none on driven-driven arrangements.

Firstly, I want to make sure that my free body diagrams show the forces ( and reaction forces on the frame) going in the right directions.

Secondly, I want to be clear about what is the 'worst case' and normal operation for the belt design and maximum allowable stress in the shafts.
For this, I want to be sure of the conditions which would provide the biggest load to the belt and shafts.

If anyone can offer me any help, I would be grateful. Once I'm able to specify the belt and shaft dimensions, I can work backwards from that and evaluate torsions etc in the frame, which I am prepared for.

However, it's just a stumbling block until I get my head round it.

Many thanks

Attachments

• basic_dyno.jpg
    basic_dyno.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 507
Engineering news on Phys.org

Thank you for reaching out for help with your motor/generator dynamometer design. It sounds like you have a complex and interesting project on your hands. I am happy to offer my assistance and help you understand the situation better.

Firstly, let's discuss the free body diagrams. It is important to accurately depict the forces and reaction forces in order to understand the mechanics of the system. I recommend using a vector diagram to show the direction and magnitude of the forces acting on the system. This will help you visualize the forces and ensure they are going in the correct direction. Additionally, make sure to include all forces, such as the weight of the motor under test and the tension in the belt, in your diagram.

Secondly, the 'worst case' for the belt and shaft design will depend on the maximum load and torque that the motor under test can generate. It is important to consider the maximum load and torque that the system will experience in order to determine the appropriate belt and shaft dimensions. I suggest consulting with a mechanical engineer or using a computer simulation program to analyze the stress and strain on the belt and shaft under different load conditions.

As for the conditions that would provide the biggest load to the belt and shafts, it will depend on the specific application and use of the motor/generator dynamometer. For example, if the motor under test is designed to operate at high speeds and produce high torque, then that would be the biggest load on the system. Again, consulting with a mechanical engineer or using simulation software can help you determine the maximum load conditions for your specific design.

I hope this helps you understand the situation better and provides some guidance for your design. Best of luck with your project!

1. What is a timing belt and how is it used in a dynamometer?

A timing belt is a toothed belt that is used to connect and synchronize the rotation of two or more shafts in a machine. In a dynamometer, the timing belt is typically used to connect the engine or motor being tested to the dynamometer's load cell, which measures torque and speed.

2. Why is a timing belt preferred over other methods of connecting an engine to a dynamometer?

A timing belt is preferred over other methods, such as chain or gear drives, because it is lighter, quieter, and more efficient. It also has less backlash, which allows for more accurate torque readings.

3. How does the tension of the timing belt affect the accuracy of the dynamometer readings?

The tension of the timing belt is crucial in ensuring accurate dynamometer readings. If the tension is too loose, it can cause slipping and inaccurate torque readings. If the tension is too tight, it can cause excessive wear on the belt and bearings, leading to incorrect readings. It is important to follow the manufacturer's recommended tension specifications.

4. What maintenance is required for a timing belt on a dynamometer?

Regular maintenance is necessary to ensure the timing belt is functioning properly. This includes checking the tension, inspecting for any signs of wear or damage, and replacing the belt if necessary. It is also important to regularly clean and lubricate the belt to prevent any buildup or friction that could affect its performance.

5. How long does a timing belt typically last in a dynamometer application?

The lifespan of a timing belt in a dynamometer application can vary depending on factors such as usage, tension, and maintenance. On average, a timing belt can last anywhere from 50,000 to 100,000 miles before needing to be replaced. It is important to monitor the belt's condition and replace it if any signs of wear or damage are detected.