Using a timing belt for a Dynamometer

• Thread starter robs314
  • Start date
Hello, I was wondering if someone could help me understand this situation.

I am designing a motor/generator dynamometer, which is to be arranged as shown in the attached picture.

There is a fixed high power DC motor transmitting power via a Syncronous / Timing belt to a motor which is under test. The Motor Under Test is on a pivoted plate above it, so the reactionary torque produced by the rotating plate should be measurable with a load cell.

I have come across plenty of material on driving-driven pairs of pulleys, but none on driven-driven arrangements.

Firstly, I want to make sure that my free body diagrams show the forces ( and reaction forces on the frame) going in the right directions.

Secondly, I want to be clear about what is the 'worst case' and normal operation for the belt design and maximum allowable stress in the shafts.
For this, I want to be sure of the conditions which would provide the biggest load to the belt and shafts.

If anyone can offer me any help, I would be grateful. Once I'm able to specify the belt and shaft dimensions, I can work backwards from that and evaluate torsions etc in the frame, which I am prepared for.

However, it's just a stumbling block until I get my head round it.

Many thanks

Attachments

• basic_dyno.jpg
    basic_dyno.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 423

Answers and Replies