Wireless Modems: Can I Connect to a Router?

• Thread starter anas_ali
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wireless
In summary, the conversation is about using wireless modems to connect to the internet through a university's wifi network. The main question is whether there are any modems that can perform this function. The response is that wifi and ethernet connections work the same and the internet will function normally. However, the person asking the question also needs to connect an Arduino device to the internet through the computer's RJ45 port and is seeking suggestions on how to do so.
anas_ali
can anyone help me regarding wireless modems.!
i want to know that if i am having a wifi internet in my universitiy and i use wireless modems and then connect them to my computer using RJ45 cable then will i be able to use internet normally ?
the main purpose of this question is that i want to enquire that are there any modems called "wireless modems" that does the same activity as the i mentioned above.
there's a video showing the description about such kind of modems and the link is as :

these might be modems from site:
http://www.motorola.com/Consumers/U...-Gateways/SURFboard-Cable-Modem-SB5101-US-EN#

Last edited by a moderator:
Computer science news on Phys.org
Wifi is simply a network signal. Connecting to wifi is no different to plugging into an ethernet port (hard wire).

Computers can easily switch between the two with no interaction from the user.

The internet "will work normally".

thanks a lot paying heed to the problem ,
but actually i asked the problem because my universities is just having wifi net and i need to connect my arduino's ethernet shield to the computer and that why i need to connect one end of the RJ45 to the shield and the other to the modem having the port for the cable.so... that was the big picture,, hope you understand the problem and hope u can suggest something..
byu

I have absolutely no idea what you're asking.

It sounds like you want to connect to the university wifi and then share the connection through the computers RJ45 port to allow this Arduino thing to connect to the internet. In which case, Windows can do this very easily via Internet Connection Sharing.

Yes, it is possible to connect a wireless modem to a router. In fact, many routers have built-in modems that allow for both wired and wireless connections. The main purpose of a wireless modem is to provide wireless internet access to devices such as laptops, smartphones, and tablets. However, it can also be connected to a computer via an RJ45 cable to provide a wired internet connection.

In regards to the specific model mentioned in the video and link, the Motorola SURFboard Cable Modem SB5101 is a cable modem that also has a built-in router. This means that it can provide both wired and wireless internet access to devices connected to it.

It is important to note that in order to use a wireless modem, you will need to have a wireless internet connection available. This can be from a university's wifi network or from a personal wifi router. Additionally, the modem will need to be set up and configured properly in order for it to work correctly.

I hope this helps to answer your question about wireless modems and their capabilities. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to reach out for additional assistance.

1. How do I connect my wireless modem to a router?

To connect your wireless modem to a router, you will need to have an ethernet cable. Simply plug one end of the cable into the modem's ethernet port and the other end into the router's WAN port. Then, follow the instructions provided by your router's manufacturer to complete the setup process.

2. Can I use a wireless modem with any router?

Yes, most wireless modems are compatible with any router as long as they support the same wireless standards (such as 802.11ac or 802.11n). However, it is always best to check the compatibility before purchasing a new modem or router.

3. Do I need a router if I have a wireless modem?

While a wireless modem can provide you with a wireless internet connection, a router is still necessary for connecting multiple devices to the internet and for creating a local network. So, if you have more than one device that needs to be connected to the internet, a router is essential.

4. How far can a wireless modem reach?

The range of a wireless modem depends on various factors such as the strength of the modem's antenna, the interference from other devices, and the layout of your home or office. Generally, the range can reach up to 150 feet indoors and 300 feet outdoors.

5. Can I use a wireless modem without a phone line?

Yes, most wireless modems do not require a phone line to function. They use cellular networks or satellite connections to provide internet access. However, if you have an ADSL or DSL modem, a phone line is necessary for the connection to work.