Using Airy's Model of isostatic equilibrium, solve for....

In summary: Airy's Model of isostatic equilibrium. In summary, we can use the given information and equations to solve for the desired values, even though we do not have a specific value for the mantle density.
Nicki

Homework Statement

Using Airy's Model of isostatic equilibrium, solve for the average anti-root height due to the ocean and the average density of the upper mantle.
Airy_Isostasy.jpg

given info: ocean depth avg = 4km
ocean crust is 10 km thick avg
continental crust if 40 km thick avg
all crust is the same density (2.5g /cm3), density of water is (1g/cm3)
[[[[We can't use the value given for the mantle density in the image]]]]

Homework Equations

0b493e743a92707e31d334bce2486fa5.png

3af435626f6ddb3a296e5f24d2688f6d.png

13a327cede7fab51b179bf2689314e69.png

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the equation to find the avg height of the anti-root, but you need the density of the mantle to solve for it..? This isn't given to us

The next question is to solve for the density of the mantle, and from the equation manipulation I've done, you need the height of the anti root to solve for this?
I feel like I'm missing something super obvious.

Mantle density (gravity is left out because it appears in all terms)
ρc = crust density, ρw = density water ρm = mantle density

ρwh2 + ρc(C-h2-d2) + ρm(b2+b1) = ρcC + ρmb1
ρwh2 + ρmb2 = ρch2 + ρcb2
ρm = (ρcC + ρcb2 - ρwh2)/ b2

you need b2 (the anti-root height) to solve this, and you need the ρm to solve for anti root height? I feel like I'm missing something very obvious?

Physics news on Phys.org

You are correct that you need the density of the mantle to solve for the average anti-root height. However, you can still solve for the density of the mantle using the given information and Airy's Model of isostatic equilibrium. Here is a step-by-step guide to solving this problem:

1. Start by writing down the equation for Airy's Model of isostatic equilibrium:

ρwh2 + ρc(C-h2-d2) + ρm(b2+b1) = ρcC + ρmb1

2. Plug in the given values for ocean depth (h), ocean crust thickness (d), continental crust thickness (C), and crust density (ρc). This will give you an equation with two unknowns: the mantle density (ρm) and the anti-root height (b2).

3. Rearrange the equation to solve for b2:

b2 = (ρcC + ρcb2 - ρwh2)/ρm

4. Now, we can substitute the given values for ocean depth (h) and ocean crust thickness (d) to get:

b2 = (ρc(40km) + ρcb2 - ρw(4km))/ρm

5. Next, we can substitute the given value for crust density (ρc = 2.5 g/cm3):

b2 = (2.5g/cm3(40km) + 2.5g/cm3b2 - 1g/cm3(4km))/ρm

6. Simplify the equation to get:

b2 = (100g/cm2 + 2.5g/cm3b2 - 4g/cm2)/ρm

7. Now, we can plug in the given value for the average ocean crust thickness (10 km) to get:

b2 = (100g/cm2 + 2.5g/cm3(10km) - 4g/cm2)/ρm

8. Simplify the equation to get:

b2 = (50g/cm2)/ρm

9. Finally, we can solve for the density of the mantle (ρm):

ρm = (50g/cm2)/b2

10. Plug in the given value for the average anti-root height (b2) to get your final answer for the mantle density.

I hope this helps you understand how to solve for

What is Airy's Model of isostatic equilibrium?

Airy's Model of isostatic equilibrium is a geological theory that explains the relationship between the Earth's crust and the underlying mantle. It states that the Earth's crust floats on the denser mantle in a state of equilibrium, with thicker crust being supported by deeper mantle roots.

How is Airy's Model used to solve for geological phenomena?

Airy's Model is used to solve for geological phenomena by calculating the thickness of the Earth's crust in different regions. This can then be used to explain variations in topography, such as mountains and ocean trenches, and to understand the distribution of different types of rocks and minerals.

What factors affect the isostatic equilibrium of the Earth's crust?

The isostatic equilibrium of the Earth's crust is affected by several factors, including the thickness and density of the crust, the density of the underlying mantle, and the presence of mountains or other topographical features. Changes in these factors can cause the crust to adjust and reach a new state of equilibrium over time.

Can Airy's Model be applied to other planetary bodies?

Yes, Airy's Model can be applied to other planetary bodies with differentiated structures, such as Mars or Venus. However, the specific calculations and assumptions may vary depending on the properties of each planet's crust and mantle.

Are there any limitations to Airy's Model?

One limitation of Airy's Model is that it assumes a simplified relationship between the crust and mantle, without taking into account other factors such as the presence of water or the effects of tectonic activity. It is also based on a one-dimensional model and may not fully capture the complexities of the Earth's three-dimensional structure.