1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Using angles of 2 balls at time of collision for new directions

1. Mar 27, 2012 #1
    If i have 2 circular objects like coins and their moving on a frictionless surface and i know their velocity angles mass, how can i find the angle of each object after they collide, an example

A is the first coin, B the second their masses are the same. X will be the x of a vector and Y the y part. if A's velocity vector was (4X, 0Y)
    and B's is (-2X, 0Y) i know they would of course after a head on collision bounce back and continue to move across the X axis, and also swap speeds, so in this case i believe they would just swap velocity vectors.

but of course theirs many different angles and such they could collide and rarely would it be head on. and im not sure how i would find the angle in any of those cases.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2012
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted