Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Using Area to Find Dimensions

1. Mar 5, 2008 #1
    Hey I have two questions that I do not know how to answer...help? Please try to answer at a grade 10 level! And, this isn't a homework question.

1. A yard is to be enclosed by 40 meters of fencing. If all of the fencing is used, what dimensions will result in a yard with an area of 75m^2?

2. What is the maximum area of a right angle triangle whose hypotenuse is 10 cm and perimeter is 26 cm?

Last edited: Mar 5, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 5, 2008 #2

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

#1:
    You are saying that the perimeter is 40 meters. You should be able to develop this information:
    [tex] \[
    \begin{array}{l}
    p = perimeter \\
    75 = theArea \\
    p = 2x + 2y \\
    75 = xy \\
    \end{array}
    \]
    [/tex]

4. Mar 5, 2008 #3

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Please note that in the above, I assumed that the yard is rectangular shaped.

5. Mar 6, 2008 #4
    Exactly, and if you use that method for #1, you end up with two equations and two variables which is easily solved.

For #2:
    So you know that c^2=a^2+b^2
    You also know that p=a+b+c
    c and p are known variables, and b and a are your unknowns. Therefore, you once again have two equations and two unknowns: solvable.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?