1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Using atomic units

1. Jun 13, 2005 #1
    Can someone help me with representing some quantities without units. I found that in atomic physics atomic units usually aren't used. For example Energy is
    Period of classical electron orbital i given by
    [tex]T=2 \pi n^3[/tex]
    Here n is Principial quantum number. How are derived these formulae??
    Thank you
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 13, 2005 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm not particularly fond of these schemes, but this looks like an arbitrary choice of convenience comparable to defining a temperature scale. E = 0 is chosen as the highest energy level, which is a common choice for "planetary" systems, but on the other end the lowest energy state has been chosen as E = -1. All other energy states must lie in between. The n^2 factor ensures the correct ratios among the various levels.

For the period, an arbitrary choice of 2pi is made for the first period, I assume because if you take the reciprocal and multiply by 2pi you get the angular velocity of the first orbital as 1. The n^3 factor again gives the correct ratios for the periods of the various levels, consistent with Kepler's laws.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?