Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Using average

1. May 13, 2008 #1
    Now we've all been taught how to use the average. Let me give 2 examples to those who don't know.

Example 1: Say an object moves with velocity 3t in the time t=0 till t=2. Find distance covered.
    Initial velocity = 0.
    Final velocity = 6 disp. unit/ time unit.
    Avg. Velocity = 3 disp. unit/ time unit.
    Distance covered = Avg. velocity x time = 6 disp. units.
    Using s = ut +1/2 a[tex]t^{2}[/tex] we get 6 again. Amazing!

Example 2: Force acting on a box of mass 1 unit is 3t in the time t=0 till t=2. Find work done by the Force. Box is initially at rest to your frame.
    No other forces act on it.

Initial force = 0
    Final force = 6 units.
    Avg. force = 3 units.
    Now avg. accn. = 3 units [mass = 1]
    As in previous sum, displacement = 6 units.
    Work done = 3 x 6 = 18 units. This comes out fine if you work it out the normal way also.

Now onto my questions.

If you noticed both were linear variations. How do I find the average of any polynomial function? I would find that VERY useful. For instance I found out for a cos/sin function average is 1/[tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex] of the co-efficient of the cos function. Isn't that fantastic?

Also one more. I was given a problem that the charge density of a sphere varies as [tex]\beta[/tex]t. But when I tried average, it doesn't work although it seems to be a linear variation.

Why doesn't it work?

2. jcsd
  3. May 14, 2008 #2
    Can you expand a bit on the problem at hand?

4. May 14, 2008 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

You use integral calculus in the general case. Just like a simple average is the sum of the elements divided by the number of elements, a generalized average is the quotient of two integrals.

5. May 14, 2008 #4

marcusl

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

To calculate the average (also called mean), integrate the function over the range of interest and divide by that range.

6. May 14, 2008 #5

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

For example, see the end of this:

http://math.cofc.edu/lauzong/Math105/Section 5.4 Applying Definite Integral.pdf

7. May 16, 2008 #6
    I see. Thats awesome! Average is such a nice way of going about the problem. What about the sphere of charge? Why can't I average that?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?