1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Using Biot Savart law

1. Nov 5, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A short current element dl⃗ =(0.500mm)j^carries a current of 8.90A in the same direction asdl⃗ . Point P is located at r⃗ =(−0.730m)i^+(0.390m)k^.

Find the magnetic field at P produced by this current element.
    Enter the x, y, and z components of the magnetic field separated by commas.

2. Relevant equations

For a wire : dB = (μ naught/ 4π) (I) (dL X r→) / (r^2)

3. The attempt at a solution

dL = .0005 meters in the j→ direction

I = 8.9 amps in j→ direction

point P is located at r→ = -.730 meters i→ + .390 meters k→

so r is the magnitude of the distance between the point and the wire, so r = .73^2 + .39^2 = .685

μ naught / 4 pi = 10^-7 / 4 pi = 7.95 * 10^-9

Now I'm not sure what to do exactly. I know the cross product of dl and r→ is the determinant, and I know how to do that. Doing that I get a result of .000195 i + .000365 k.

Now do I take (7.95*10 ^-9) * (8.9 amps) (either .000195 or .000365) / (.685 meter^2) to find the i(x) and k(z) components of dB respectively? I've tried things like that and I couldn't get the right answer.

Note: I always do my calculations in standard units like meters and tesla first then convert at the end so I don't confuse myself so I don't think that was my mistake. I think I'm just not understanding what term actually means what in the equation, or how to work with vectors correctly. A nudge in the right direction would be appreciated, thanks for any and all advice.

The correct answer is dBx, dBy, dBz = .306, 0 ,573 nT

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 6, 2014 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Pretty good work!
    I found one little flaw in the relevant equation: it's either ##\displaystyle I\;d{\bf \vec l} \times {\bf \vec r}\over \displaystyle |r|^3## or ##\displaystyle I\; d{\bf \vec l} \times {\bf \hat r}\over \displaystyle |r|^2##

One little flaw in ##\mu_0##: ##\ \ \mu_0 = 4\pi \; 10^{-7}\ \Rightarrow \ \mu_0/(4\pi) = 10^{-7}##

And one corny little flaw in r = .73^2 + .39^2 = .685 See it ?

Fix them and you end up spot on !

4. Nov 6, 2014 #3
    Thank you for responding!

So for the biot savart law I have a question. The first one you posted has dl→ × r→ whereas the second one uses r with a unit vector hat, so just to clarify, the first equation would be used if I had a vector r from my current element to the point of interest in terms of x, y, and z correct? And the 2nd one would be if I was given a vector in terms of a single unit vector? I'm confused on that part, I'm a little fuzzy on what I remember from vectors. Can you explain the difference between those two and why I would use one or the other?

The μ naught issue I see I made a mistake in the equation now; I must have misread that constant relationship at first.

But the last flaw is also confusing. I know the magnitude of a vector is the square root of the sum of the squared components, so I thought : r^2 = x(i) ^2 + y(j) ^2 , in the original post I accidentally said r instead of r^2. But I can see that it would be an error regardless if I originally chose the r^3 biot savart equation. So I don't see where I went wrong in that equation with what I chose originally, regarding the r^2.

5. Nov 6, 2014 #4
    They are one and the same remember that "r-hat" is just R divided by it's own magnitude. So in one of the cases one magnitude has been factored out and canceled and in the other not. They are exactly the same.

[itex] \vec R = |R| Rhat [/itex]

You would use the one with Rhat if you didn't know the distance but knew the direction (it might put you a step closer even though you can't get a numerical answer). If you know the just the distance (R) but not the direction there is no sense in calculating Rhat so then you would use the r^3 version.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted