1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Using Castigliano's Theorem

1. Apr 18, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Use Castigliano’s second theorem to calculate the equation for the deflection as a function of
    position in a simply supported beam with a load P applied in the center of the span. Assume that E and I are constant along the length of the beam. Compare your result with that found in
    deformable solid books. 30 points. Hint: a dummy load in an arbitrary location would be the way
    to start.

2. Relevant equations

[tex]\delta=\frac{1}{(EI)} \int_{0}^{L}M* \frac{\partial M}{\partial P} dx[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

Well, I've been at this all night, and well into the morning now, and it seems simple enough so I must be missing something. My class just changed professors mid-semester, and now we've got homework due on materials we haven't yet covered in class so my grasp of this is a little shaky.

I'm a bit confused as to what is meant by the term dummy load, and where that would be located and how it would factor into the moment equation when you take a cut of the beam.

So far, I've tried placing a load Q, at an arbitrary location Xq from the left hand side of the beam. I allowed the location of this load to float at the right hand of the cut I made in the beam, such that the resultant moment at the cut wouldn't have contributions from the dummy load, but that might not be right. I've tried a couple different variations on this, but for the section from 0 to L/2, I keep getting:

[tex]\frac{L^3 P - L^2 P Xq}{48EI}[/tex]

Obviously, somewhere there's a mistake in the assumptions I'm making to set this up, as the answer does not match a textbooks. Any help or pointers in solving this would be greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?