Cauchy Product: Exponents or Counters Equal?

In summary, the Cauchy product theorem is more important when the terms of the exponent of the x variable are the same.
morenogabr
When attemtpting to find the Cauchy product of two functs f(x) and g(x), which are themselves power series, is it more important to have their respective terms of summation be the same of for the exponent of their respective x variable to be equal? Or must both of these conditions be met? I am in a situation where it seems that shifting the index for f(x) to make x powers equal, makes the initial summation counters not equal. Not sure which of these conditions is needed to apply Cauchy prod theorem.

Physics news on Phys.org
why not show us what you are attempting, try click on the latex below to see the syntax
[tex] f(x) = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} a_n x^n [/tex]

as a general rule I woudl try & make teh summation powers of x equivalent. If the other subscripts are confusing why not try a variable change [itex] c_n = b_{n-2}[/itex] etc.

[tex]
f(x) = e^x = \\sum_{n=0}^{\\infty} (1/n!)(x^n),
[/tex]
[tex]
g(x) = sin(x) = \\sum_{k=0}^{\\infty} ((-1)^k)/(2k+1)! * x^(2k+1)
[/tex]

latex not working? maybe its clear enoug what I am trying to show...

I need to use cauchy product theorem to obtain the first 3 terms of f(x)g(x).
So for g(x) I say m=2k+1, k=(m-1)/2, etc to achieve x^m but then the sum goes from m=1 to inf.
So if I leave x powers equal, the summations start at 0 for f(x) and 1 for g(x). But the theorem only gives
c_n=sum(from 0 to inf) a_(k) * b_(n-k) not sure if this would need to go from 1 to inf in my case or leave as 0?

morenogabr said:
[tex]
f(x) = e^x = \\sum_{n=0}^{\\infty} (1/n!)(x^n),
[/tex]
[tex]
g(x) = sin(x) = \\sum_{k=0}^{\\infty} ((-1)^k)/(2k+1)! * x^(2k+1)
[/tex]

latex not working? maybe its clear enoug what I am trying to show...

I need to use cauchy product theorem to obtain the first 3 terms of f(x)g(x).
So for g(x) I say m=2k+1, k=(m-1)/2, etc to achieve x^m but then the sum goes from m=1 to inf.
So if I leave x powers equal, the summations start at 0 for f(x) and 1 for g(x). But the theorem only gives
c_n=sum(from 0 to inf) a_(k) * b_(n-k) not sure if this would need to go from 1 to inf in my case or leave as 0?

[tex]
f(x) = e^x = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{x^n}{n!}
[/tex]
[tex]
g(x) = sin(x) = \sum_{k=0}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^k x^{2k+1}}{(2k+1)!}
[/tex]

Use this format for your latex, it's better.

What is the Cauchy Product?

The Cauchy Product is a mathematical operation used to multiply two infinite series. It is also known as the Cauchy multiplication rule, named after the French mathematician Augustin-Louis Cauchy.

What are exponents and counters in the Cauchy Product?

Exponents and counters are terms used to describe the coefficients of the two series being multiplied in the Cauchy Product. The exponent refers to the power of the variable in the series, while the counter refers to the coefficient of the variable.

How do you determine if the exponents or counters are equal in the Cauchy Product?

In order for the Cauchy Product to be valid, the exponents or counters of the two series must be equal. This means that the power of the variable in each series must be the same, or the coefficients of the variable must be the same. If they are not equal, the Cauchy Product cannot be calculated.

What is the significance of equal exponents or counters in the Cauchy Product?

When the exponents or counters are equal in the Cauchy Product, it indicates that the two series being multiplied are related in some way. This can lead to interesting mathematical properties and relationships between the two series.

Can the Cauchy Product be used with finite series?

Yes, the Cauchy Product can be used with finite series as well. In this case, the product will only include terms up to the maximum exponent or counter of the two series being multiplied.