1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Using complex exponentials

1. May 6, 2009 #1
    ∫_0^∞ e^-x sin (ax) dx

integrating from 0 to infinity for e^-x sin (ax)

i was wondering that if i use complex exponentials for this will it be the same as solving for ∫_0^∞ e^-x cos (ax) dx. Will it make any difference if there is sin instead of cos because i know how to solve for cos (ax) but i dont know if it makes any difference if the cos is replaced by a sin.. does it make any difference?

cheers

2. jcsd
  3. May 6, 2009 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It makes a difference in the sense that the answer is different, yes. The technique is pretty much the same, if that's what you mean.

4. May 6, 2009 #3
    yup, because if i use cos (ax) i can replace it with e ^ i(ax) because i can use the complex exponential there. But what do i use for sin (ax).. i will just do what i did for cos (ax)

∫_0^∞ e^-x. e^i(ax) ..... (((since ∫_0^∞ e-x (cos ax + isin ax) dx)))

Therefore we get:

∫_0^∞ e^-(1-ia)x dx

then i can go ahead from there to get 1/ 1 + a^2.... now the only thing i am confused with is that this is for the complex exp. for cos (ax) what will it be for sin (ax)

5. May 7, 2009 #4

Cyosis

Homework Helper

Are you claiming that [itex]\cos ax+i \sin ax=\cos a x[/itex]? This is of course not true. Try [itex]\sin x=Im(e^{i x})[/itex].

6. May 7, 2009 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You can't just "replace it with e^i(ax)". e^(iax)= cos(x)+ i sin(x). You can replace cos(x) with e^i(ax) and then just take the real part of the answer. And, of course, with sin(ax) you can replace it with e^i(ax) and take only the imaginary part of the answer.

7. May 7, 2009 #6
    ahhh i get it.. sweet.. thank u

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?