Finding a Function H in C to Satisfy Conditions

In summary, the conversation discusses finding a function in C that satisfies certain conditions, specifically {\nabla ^2}H = 0 for y>0, H(0,y) = 1 for y<-/pi, H(0,y) = 0 for y>/pi, and H(0,y) = -1 for -/pi<y</pi. The poster has not been able to come up with a solution and is seeking advice. They were told to use a conform transformation, but their attempt did not satisfy the border conditions. They provide a graphic of the problem and ask if anyone knows the answer.
libelec

Homework Statement

Find a function H in C such that [tex]{\nabla ^2}H = 0[/tex] for y>0, H(0,y) = 1 for y<-[tex]/pi[/tex], H(0,y) = 0 for y>[tex]/pi[/tex] and H(0,y) = -1 for -[tex]/pi[/tex]<y<[tex]/pi[/tex].

The Attempt at a Solution

I haven't been able to came up with anything. All the conform transformations that I know allow me to solve the Dirichlet problem with only 2 conditions, or 3 but with two of them with the same value. I was told that I could just leave the geometry of the problem like it is (that is, not make any transformation) and propose the solution A[tex]\theta[/tex]1 + B[tex]\theta[/tex]2 + C, being [tex]\theta[/tex]1 the argument of [z - (0 -i*Pi)] and [tex]\theta[/tex]2 the argument of [z - (0 +i*Pi)], but the solution I find doesn't satisfy the border conditions.

Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org

Nobody knows this?

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How do I find a function H in C to satisfy conditions?

Finding a function H in C to satisfy conditions involves understanding the conditions that need to be met and using mathematical techniques to create a function that fulfills those conditions. It may require trial and error, or it may involve using known properties of functions to construct a suitable one.

2. What are some common conditions that a function H in C needs to satisfy?

Some common conditions that a function H in C may need to satisfy include being continuous, differentiable, or having a specific range of values. Other conditions may involve specific relationships between the input and output of the function, such as being strictly increasing or decreasing.

3. Can I use any function in C to satisfy the conditions?

No, not all functions in C will satisfy the given conditions. The function must abide by the laws and principles of mathematics and must fulfill the specific conditions that have been set. It may take some creativity and mathematical knowledge to find a function that meets all the requirements.

4. Is there a specific method or algorithm for finding a function H in C to satisfy conditions?

There is no one specific method or algorithm for finding a function that satisfies given conditions. The approach may vary depending on the specific conditions and the mathematical skills of the person trying to find the function. However, there are many well-known techniques and principles, such as using derivatives or integrals, that can be used to help construct a suitable function.

5. What happens if I cannot find a function H in C to satisfy the conditions?

If after many attempts, you are unable to find a function that satisfies the given conditions, it may be necessary to revisit the conditions and see if they can be adjusted or relaxed. Alternatively, it may be helpful to seek assistance from a math expert or try using different mathematical techniques to approach the problem from a different angle.