Using conservation of momentum to find final velocity in a collision

In summary, two cars with masses m collide and stick together. One car was traveling north at speed 2v while the other was traveling at speed v at an angle \phisouth of east. After the collision, the joined cars travel at speed vfinal at an angle \theta east of north. To find vfinal, the equations p=mv and pi=pf can be used. Simplifying the equations in terms of components and solving for vfinal results in the final equation (m1v1icos\phi + m2v)^2 + (m1v1sin\phi + m2v)^2 = (m1+m2)^2vfinal^2. This can be simplified further to vfinal = (
elsternj

Homework Statement

Two cars, both of mass m, collide and stick together. Prior to the collision, one car had been traveling north at speed 2v, while the second was traveling at speed v at an angle [tex]\phi[/tex]south of east (as indicated in the figure). After the collision, the two-car system travels at speed vfinal at an angle [tex]\theta[/tex] east of north.

Find the speed vfinal of the joined cars after the collision.
Express your answer in terms of v and [tex]\phi[/tex] .

6318.jpg

Homework Equations

p=mv
pi=pf

The Attempt at a Solution

first i tried to break this down in terms of its components

in the x direction:
m1v1icos[tex]\phi[/tex] =(m1+m2)Vfinalsin[tex]\theta[/tex]

in the y direction:
m1v1sin[tex]\phi[/tex]+m22v = (m1+m2)vfinalcos[tex]\theta[/tex]

Now here is where I am starting to get mixed up. I have both of my components. (They may be wrong so please help me with those equations) Do I just solve both for vfinal and then square them and take the square root? Any insight is much appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
"in the x direction:m1v1icos + m2=(m1+m2)Vfinalsin"

I think maybe your equation got problem because direction x for v2 is zero so momentum for m2 also be zero.
If i m wrong please check it out ! thanks !

ah yes, i actually omitted that mass when i originally wrote it and then for some reason when looking at my paper i brought it back for some reason.. that was more or less a typo. i am aware that the second mass does not have momentum in the x direction, i will edit that.

If no going wrong my answer maybe like this:

First take it down then square both sides propose is remove the delta ,

(m1v1icos/(m1+m2)Vfinal)2 =sin2

[(m1v1sin+m22v)/(m1+m2)vfinal]2 = cos2----2

1+2 :

(m1v1icos/(m1+m2)Vfinal)2+[(m1v1sin+m22v)/(m1+m2)vfinal]2=1

After that take up [(m1+m2)Vfinal]2 shift it to right then remove the square so that my answer .

Last edited:

Yes, you are on the right track. To solve for the final velocity, you will need to use the conservation of momentum equation, which states that the total momentum before the collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision. Therefore, you can set up the following equation:

m1v1icos\phi + m2v2cos\theta = (m1+m2)vfinalcos\theta

You can also set up a similar equation for the y direction:

m1v1sin\phi + m2v2sin\theta = (m1+m2)vfinalsin\theta

Since the cars stick together after the collision, their masses are combined, and you can simplify the equations to:

m1v1icos\phi + m2v2cos\theta = (m1+m2)vfinalcos\theta

m1v1sin\phi + m2v2sin\theta = (m1+m2)vfinalsin\theta

Now, you can solve for vfinal by dividing both equations by (m1+m2) and then taking the square root of both equations. This will give you the final velocity in terms of v and \phi.

1. What is conservation of momentum?

Conservation of momentum is a fundamental principle in physics that states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant. This means that in a collision between two objects, the total momentum before the collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision.

2. How is conservation of momentum used to find final velocity in a collision?

In a collision, the total momentum of the system can be calculated by adding the individual momentums of the objects involved. This total momentum can then be equated to the total momentum after the collision. By rearranging the equation, the final velocity of an object can be calculated using the initial velocities and masses of the objects.

3. What are the requirements for using conservation of momentum in a collision?

In order to use conservation of momentum to find final velocity in a collision, the collision must be a closed system with no external forces acting on it. Additionally, the objects involved in the collision must be able to exchange momentum with each other, such as in a direct collision or an explosion.

4. What are some limitations of using conservation of momentum in a collision?

One limitation of using conservation of momentum is that it assumes that the collision is elastic, meaning that no energy is lost during the collision. In real-world scenarios, there is always some energy lost due to factors such as friction and deformation of objects. Additionally, the objects must be point masses or have a constant mass distribution in order for the calculations to be accurate.

5. Can conservation of momentum be used in any type of collision?

Conservation of momentum can be used in most types of collisions, as long as the requirements mentioned earlier are met. However, it may not be as accurate in collisions involving extremely small particles, such as atoms, or in collisions involving non-point masses or objects with varying mass distributions.