Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Using Coupons a NO NO on a date?

1. Oct 11, 2013 #1
    I got free movie coupons and is it a big deal to use them? or it just plain wrong?
    Im a guy btw straight.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2013 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Use them!! If the girl is so shallow that she doesn't like it, GOOD RIDDANCE!!! I would admire a guy that had free tickets.

4. Oct 11, 2013 #3

jhae2.718

Gold Member

Even better, make her pay! :biggrin:

Disclaimer: you should probably not take relationship advice from random engineers over the internet.

5. Oct 11, 2013 #4
    Should you use free vouchers? If its early in a relationship:

Two free tickets, yes.
    Buy one get one free, no.

Later on you just stop caring about looking cheap, houses cost too much.

6. Oct 11, 2013 #5

FlexGunship

Gold Member

Truthfully, I wouldn't use them... not on a date anyway. Unless you've literally said the phrase: "hey, I've got a couple of movie vouchers, want to go see <movie>?" But even then it implies that you might not have gone out with her if the expense incurred was too high.

If your goal is to appear thrifty, then just tell her she can't have popcorn or a soda.

7. Oct 11, 2013 #6
    If you can`t use the tickets on a date because they are free, then you can`t take her on a date even if you pay, since that would make her date free, and since you can`t enjoy anything that if free on a date, she has to pay, but that makes your date free, and you can`t enjoy anything on a date that is free, then .....

You might as well split up now before you get too deep, tell her it was great while it lasted, but it just isn`t working out.

8. Oct 11, 2013 #7

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Personally I wouldn't mind coupons. But in the general public, it's probably different.

I think age is a factor. If the guy is a teenager and uses coupons, then there is no issue. If the guy is 30 or so, it might be viewed differently. His date my wonder if he lives in his mother's basement, for example.

9. Oct 11, 2013 #8
    I'd save them for another time, first impressions matter and even if she isn't shallow, it does come across as a bit cheap to use them for a date.

10. Oct 11, 2013 #9

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

I wouldn't go to to the cinema, they're showing lousy pictures these days anyway.

Try to sell your coupons.

11. Oct 15, 2013 #10
    Exactly. Many women would question the use of free coupons/tickets/whatever on a first date and not necessarily be shallow.

Don't be cheap. Use the coupons with friends, not on a first date.

12. Oct 15, 2013 #11

Evo

I guess I am more easy going and look at the "person", I don't care if he's taking me on a trip to the Bahamas for free with frequent flier miles and credit card bonus points, he's using them to treat me. I think a female that wants him to spend money instead is shallow and the guy should have second thoughts about her.

I used to date a very nice guy, he was a top attorney and wealthy, from a fine family and headed up some of the best charity balls here. But when we'd go to a movie, there was no drinking or eating allowed because he considered it too expensive, I wasn't even allowed to buy my own. If he'd had coupons, he certainly would have used them. I wouldn't have thought anything of it, even though most women dating someone wealthy would probably be appalled. I would find the use of coupons even more acceptable and smart if the guy didn't have much money.

If I was a guy and dating, I might actually buy tickets ahead of time and tell the girl they were free just to see if she was the kind of person I want to get to know better.

13. Oct 15, 2013 #12
    Marry me! Marry me NOW!!!
    :!!) :!!)

14. Oct 15, 2013 #13

Evo

Be careful what you wish for. Now you will be appointed "Evo's Imaginary Boyfriend, Holiday Season 2013". This esteemed position requires that you post pictures of cool socks dedicated to me in the Random Posts thread as we approach the holidays. Failure to do so will result in your immediate termination from the forum. (This is actually a "real" imaginary annual position)

/End of thread hijack

15. Oct 15, 2013 #14
    ok.....that doesn't add up at all. This "guy" was a top attorney and wealthy and headed up some of the best charity balls (lol what?) but eating or drinking anything at the theatre wasn't allowed, even if you bought it, because it was too expensive? Even if half of that was true most girls would ding him based on your description. And rightfully so. Dont be a cheap skate guys....throw down that whole extra $10 for the ticket and avoid looking like a tool. First impressions are key.

16. Oct 15, 2013 #15
    Bonus advice: Stop buying drinks for random girls at bars & clubs. Girls will graciously except free drinks from ANYONE whether they're into you or not.

17. Oct 16, 2013 #16

Evo

Charity balls are commonplace in certain social circles. They are a blast.

Again, it depends on what you're looking for, if you are looking for someone that cares about you and not about money, then use the coupon.

18. Oct 16, 2013 #17
    There is a difference between being savvy with money and having deep pockets but short arms.

19. Oct 16, 2013 #18
    I agree with Flex. It's not so much that I'd be worried that she'd think I'm cheap or anything, but for me there's just something off about using coupons on a date unless you've stated up front, "Hey, I got a coupon for half off at X restaurant, wanna go?"

It just seems like, if you take her out and then use a coupon to pay, that you're too focused on the cost of the date, rather than the lady you're with. Just something off about it to me, for the first couple dates. Once you've got her hooked, then be as thrifty as you want.

20. Oct 16, 2013 #19

Evo

Yeah, I can also see this approach. At least you'll get a few good dates before she dumps you for being cheap. :wink: (kidding)

21. Oct 16, 2013 #20
    I know what a charity ball is but that phrase, after calling this guy a "top lawyer", etc. was what caused your description of him to
    jump the shark. Anyway, I'm not saying most girls would go as far as refusing a second date just because a guy used a free movie pass, assuming everything else went well but it's not a smart move on the guys part. Sorry, but that's not the credited move to say "I'm chill and don't care" it's a red flag that says "I'm cheap". If you don't have the cash, then don't take her to a movie. In my opinion, you're over thinking the situation. If we're on a first date, I'm not gonna waste my time playing games to test you by using a free coupon. I'm going to offer to buy our tickets & whatever food and drinks you want. I don't need to use a free ticket to determine if I like you or not. I'm there to have a good time and if it doesn't work out then oh well. I've spent a few bucks, watched a movie, and don't come off looking like a loser that lives in his parents basement. If you're like 16 and in high school with no job then sure, use the free ticket on a first date.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook