Using e^ix to determine a trig identity

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to write cosx and sinx in terms of e^ix and e^-ix respectively. The suggested identities are cosx=Re(e^ix)=Re(e^-ix) and sinx =Im(e^ix) and -Im(e^ix). The goal is to use these identities to show that 16cos^3(x)sin^2(x) = 2cosx - cos3x - cos5xe^{ix} = \cos x + i \sin x and e^{-ix} = \cos x - i \sin x. The participants are also reminded that e^{inx} = \cos(nx) + i\sin(nx) = (e^{ix})
josephcollins
Hi people, could someone help me with this

Q. Write cosx and sinx in terms of e^ix and e^-ix respectively

So I wrote that cosx=Re(e^ix)=Re(e^-ix)

and sinx =Im(e^ix) and -Im(e^ix)

I think the above identites are correct, now I must use this to show that

16cos^3(x)sin^2(x) = 2cosx - cos3x - cos5x

Mathematics news on Phys.org
[tex]e^{ix} = \cos x + i \sin x[/tex]

[tex]e^{-ix} = \cos x - i \sin x[/tex]

Look at the two above and think how you could rearrange them so you have one for sin(x) in terms of e^(ix) and e^(-ix) and same for cos(x).

also remember, [tex] e^{inx} = \cos(nx) + i\sin(nx) = (e^{ix})^n [/tex]. This is all you need to find any trig identity...

What is the purpose of using e^ix to determine a trig identity?

The use of e^ix, also known as Euler's formula, allows us to express trigonometric functions in terms of complex numbers. This can help simplify and solve complicated trig identities.

How does e^ix relate to trigonometric functions?

Euler's formula states that e^ix = cos(x) + i*sin(x), where i is the imaginary unit. This shows the relationship between trigonometric functions and exponential functions.

What is the process for using e^ix to determine a trig identity?

To use e^ix, we first rewrite the given trig identity in terms of e^ix. Then, we can manipulate the expression using algebra and properties of exponents to simplify and solve for the identity.

Can e^ix be used for all trig identities?

Yes, e^ix can be used to determine any trig identity. However, some identities may be easier to solve using other methods.

What are the benefits of using e^ix to determine a trig identity?

Using e^ix can help simplify and solve complicated trig identities that may be difficult to solve using traditional methods. It also allows us to express trigonometric functions in terms of complex numbers, providing a deeper understanding of these functions.