Converting Watts to Volts: Maximum Current for a 3.5W Resistor

In summary, electric energy is derived from the flow of electric charge and is produced through various methods such as burning fossil fuels, harnessing wind or water power, and converting nuclear energy. It is used in daily life for powering appliances, lighting, and charging electronic devices, as well as in industries for manufacturing and transportation. Electric energy is transported through power lines or underground cables. Advantages of using electric energy include being clean, renewable, and efficient, while potential risks include power outages, environmental impacts, and safety hazards.
haleyscavone
What is the maximum current allowed in a 3.5 W, 220 ohm resistor?

The answer needs to be in amps so how would I convert watts to volts?

Physics news on Phys.org
Whats the formula for power dissapation in a resistor?
hint, V=IR and P=IV

Because the voltage was unknown you would use both equations and substitution right?
So P=I(IR) ---> P=I^2R

So 3.5/220=I^2
.0159=I^2
I=.1581

Is that correct?

Slight typo/mistake in your sqrt but yes - that's the correct method

thank you!

1. What is electric energy and how is it produced?

Electric energy is the energy that is derived from the flow of electric charge. It is produced through various methods such as burning fossil fuels, harnessing wind or water power, and converting nuclear energy.

2. How is electric energy used in our daily lives?

Electric energy is used in many ways in our daily lives, such as powering household appliances, lighting our homes and buildings, and charging electronic devices. It is also used in industries for manufacturing and transportation.

3. How is electric energy transported?

Electric energy is transported through power lines, also known as transmission lines, which are made of metal conductors that carry the electricity from power plants to homes and buildings. It can also be transported through underground cables.

4. What are the advantages of using electric energy?

Using electric energy has many advantages, such as being a clean and renewable source of energy, reducing air pollution, and being more efficient than other forms of energy. It is also easily transportable and can be generated from a variety of sources.

5. What are the potential risks of using electric energy?

One potential risk of using electric energy is the possibility of power outages due to system failures or extreme weather conditions. There are also concerns about the environmental impacts of producing electricity, particularly from sources such as coal and nuclear power. Additionally, there may be safety hazards associated with handling and using electric equipment.