Using Euler's Formula to Evaluate Complex Numbers in Rectangular Form

• Thread starter ezperkins
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Formula
In summary, the conversation discusses using Euler's formula to evaluate the expressions (2i)5 and (1+i)-.5 and the difficulty the speaker is facing in solving them. The conversation also includes a reminder about simplifying expressions with exponents and offers guidance on how to approach the problem.
ezperkins
"Use Euler's formula to evaluate the following and write your answer in rectangular form."
A. (2i)5
B. (1+i)-.5

I referred to my precal book and various websites and am still clueless. I started to work out A. but I'm not sure of anything. Here's what I did:

(2i)5 = 32i

On the imaginary/real plane, that forms a 90 degree angle.

[tex]\theta = \frac{\pi}{4}[/tex]

[tex]e^{i \theta } = cos \theta + isin \theta [/tex]

[tex] cos \frac{\pi}{4} = 0[/tex] & [tex]isin\frac{\pi}{4} = i [/tex]

[tex]e^ {\frac{i\pi}{4}} = i [/tex]

[tex]e^ {\frac{\pi}{4}} = ? [/tex] . . .

Whenever I don't know what I'm doing, I just mimic, and I feel like I'm mimicking incorrectly.
I would really like to know how to do this but can't figure it out on my own. Thanks in advance :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, firstly, a 90o angle isn't [itex]\pi /4[/itex], it's [itex]\pi /2[/itex] :tongue:

If [tex]e^{\frac{i\pi}{2}}=i[/tex]

then [tex]2e^{\frac{i\pi}{2}}=2i[/tex]

and [tex]\left(2e^{\frac{i\pi}{2}}\right)^5=(2i)^5[/tex]

Can you take it from here?

haha thanks, I have a habit of making dumb mistakes like that.

I'm working it a few different ways but keep winding up with:

[tex] \cos \theta + i \sin \theta = i [/tex]

I've flown through all of the other problems on this stupid homework, but I've been working on this problem for about two hours and I still don't know what to do.

You're looking at the problem in entirely the wrong way.

You need to simplify:

[tex]\left(2e^{\frac{i\pi}{2}}\right)^5[/tex]

Do it like you would any other real number. What is [tex](ab^2)^3[/tex]?

1. What is Euler's Formula?

Euler's Formula, also known as Euler's Identity, is a mathematical equation that relates the exponential function to trigonometric functions. It is written as eix = cos(x) + i*sin(x), where e is the base of the natural logarithm, i is the imaginary unit, and x is an angle in radians.

2. How is Euler's Formula used to evaluate complex numbers in rectangular form?

Euler's Formula can be used to convert a complex number from rectangular form (a + bi) to polar form (r(cosθ + isinθ)). This is done by equating the real and imaginary parts of the formula with the real and imaginary components of the complex number, and solving for r and θ. Once r and θ are known, the complex number can be rewritten in polar form.

3. Why is it useful to evaluate complex numbers in polar form?

Evaluating complex numbers in polar form can make certain operations, such as multiplication and division, easier to perform. It also provides a geometric representation of the complex number, with the magnitude r representing the distance from the origin and the angle θ representing the direction from the positive real axis.

4. Can Euler's Formula be used to evaluate any complex number in rectangular form?

Yes, Euler's Formula can be used to evaluate any complex number in rectangular form. However, it is important to note that the angle θ in polar form may not always be a simple multiple of π, and may require the use of a calculator or other tools to find a decimal approximation.

5. Are there any limitations to using Euler's Formula to evaluate complex numbers?

One limitation of Euler's Formula is that it only works for complex numbers in rectangular form. It cannot be used for other forms, such as exponential form or trigonometric form. Additionally, it may not always be the most efficient method for evaluating complex numbers, depending on the situation and the desired level of accuracy.