Can Excel Create Plots Using Equations?

In summary, the person is trying to find a way to plot a parametric equation in Excel. They are given specific values for lambda, but if they want to plot them all they would need to calculate each value.
Benny
Hi I'm currently working on an assignment and one of the questions requires me make a plot of the following. I am told that Excel can produce the plot but I don't know how to enter the equation.

[tex]
x_{n + 1} = \frac{{11.5x_n }}{{1 + x_n ^2 }} - \lambda ,x_0 > 0
[/tex]

A few values of lambda are specified. If there is a way to plot this on Excel? Any help would be great thanks.

Note: I hope this isn't the wrong forum for this question.

Computer science news on Phys.org
I use Excel for plotting all the time, but there is no capability I know of to just give it an equation. What you have to do is calculate the x,y values, highlight them, and click the plot button.

Unless I don't understand correctly, this is just a set of parametric equations in lambda. What I'd do is have several columns, one corresponding to each value of lambda. Each row will be successive calculations of [itex]x_{n+1}[/itex]. If you know lambda, all you need is a starting value for [itex]x_n[/itex].

Did I miss something?

Yeah I've been given some specific values for lamda lie 0, 3, 6 etc. So if I wanted to plot this would need to calculate each value? As in for example I start with x_0 = 2. Then x_1 = some value. For the next point I would need to calculate x_2 = f(x_1) and so on? I just thought that there was some kind of shortcut to generating the values because I think that we're supposed to generate a whole bunch of values.

Do you know how to use the quick fill corner?

Benny said:
Yeah I've been given some specific values for lamda lie 0, 3, 6 etc. So if I wanted to plot this would need to calculate each value? As in for example I start with x_0 = 2. Then x_1 = some value. For the next point I would need to calculate x_2 = f(x_1) and so on? I just thought that there was some kind of shortcut to generating the values because I think that we're supposed to generate a whole bunch of values.

Oh, but it is sooooo easy. Let me give you an example. Let's say x_0 is 2. Put that in cell A1. In cell A2, you want to calculate x_1, but I'll make up the formula just to make it simplier. Let's say x_n+1 = x_n^2 + 3*x^n + 5/3. In cell A2 you type (literally): =A1^2+3*A1 +5/3 and hit enter. Highlight cell A2, click copy, and highlight cells, A3 through A100 and click paste. That's all there is to it!

Last edited:
Oh ok, I didn't know that it could be done so easily. I'm pretty clueless when it comes to computers, apart from things related to fps.:biggrin: Thank you very much for your help.

Check out the edit in my previous post. I gave an example of the very thing you are trying to do. Notice the formula has A$1. That means as you paste the formula down, the 1 remains fixed, meaning in this case, it is lambda.

Excel is one of the most amazing applications I have ever seen.

Check this out.

http://www.usd.edu/trio/tut/excel/

Last edited:
hotvette,

how'd you get the formulas to show up in your attached picture?

That is something I've been wanting to do at work to help check my analysis...

dt

`Toggle formula's or values with <ctrl>+ ` that's the upper left key on my keybord, left of the "1", the graph accent underneath the ~.

Cool...Thanks

1. How do I import data into Excel for plotting?

To import data into Excel for plotting, you can either copy and paste the data directly into a spreadsheet, or you can use the "Import Data" function under the "Data" tab. This will allow you to select a file or data source from which to import your data.

2. How do I create a plot in Excel?

To create a plot in Excel, you can use the "Insert" tab and select the type of plot you want from the "Chart" section. You can then select the data you want to plot and customize the chart using the various options under the "Chart Design" and "Format" tabs.

3. How do I add multiple data series to a single plot in Excel?

To add multiple data series to a single plot in Excel, you can select all of the data you want to include in the plot and then insert a chart as usual. You can then use the "Select Data" option under the "Chart Design" tab to add additional data series to the plot.

4. Can I customize the appearance of my plot in Excel?

Yes, you can customize the appearance of your plot in Excel by using the various options under the "Chart Design" and "Format" tabs. This includes changing the chart type, adding or removing elements such as titles and legends, and adjusting the colors and styles of the plot.

5. Can I update my plot automatically when I change the data in Excel?

Yes, you can update your plot automatically when you change the data in Excel. This can be done by selecting the plot and then using the "Select Data" option under the "Chart Design" tab to edit the data source. You can also use the "Refresh Data" button to update the plot with any changes made to the data.